+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Last time I entered Canada they gave me a Visitor Record -- what are my options?

asdfou

Dec 1, 2016
Just to preface this post I am from the US.

I met my current girlfriend online, and I've visited Canada to spend time with her 3 times now. I visited once in June for 17 days, and then came back to visit for 6 months in October and was allowed in without an issue. I just recently had to attend a funeral, so I left Canada for 5 days and came back on Monday where at the airport I was sent to the CBSA where they questioned me about my intentions and they eventually let me back in; this time with a VR and only until January 8th 2017, when I was originally planning on leaving/extending on April 3 2017. I was unaware that my visitation time would reset when I left the country, so I thought my 180 days would just keep going until April but I guess that's not the case.

Anyway, the dilemma I'm in now is that my girlfriend and I want to get married and we're planning to do that quickly in order for me to live in Canada with her sooner. We're planning on getting married sometime in December hopefully. I was wondering if the last time I crossed the border flagged/blacklisted me or something and I won't be able to extend my time past Jan. 8? If I get married and then apply for extension would it be a good/bad idea to try to use visiting my wife as part of the reason for extension? I'm aware that I'm not allowed to leave Canada if I get on implied status, but my gf and I were planning on meeting my family in the US for the first time in early January, would it be possible for me to enter the country before Jan. 8 and then try to extend? Will the CBSA be extra hard on me if I go to the US and then come back to visit because of this last incident?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
asdfou said:
I was unaware that my visitation time would reset when I left the country, so I thought my 180 days would just keep going until April but I guess that's not the case.
It is up to the CBSA officer to reset it or not.

asdfou said:
I was wondering if the last time I crossed the border flagged/blacklisted me or something and I won't be able to extend my time past Jan. 8?
There is a note in your file saying that your intentions are not clear. Most likely it says you are trying to live in Canada while on a visitor status.

This will be taken into account when applying for extension.

asdfou said:
If I get married and then apply for extension would it be a good/bad idea to try to use visiting my wife as part of the reason for extension?
The thing is that you are not "visiting" your wife. You are trying to live with her using a visitor status. Visits are short, meant to be 2-3 weeks. Your intentions totally point to you as a non-genuine visitor.

asdfou said:
I'm aware that I'm not allowed to leave Canada if I get on implied status, but my gf and I were planning on meeting my family in the US for the first time in early January, would it be possible for me to enter the country before Jan. 8 and then try to extend?
No, you can leave whenever you want. The CBSA officer will then evaluate if your implied status should be honoured or not on reentry. Yes, it is possible to reenter Canada before Jan 8th.

asdfou said:
Will the CBSA be extra hard on me if I go to the US and then come back to visit because of this last incident?
Again, the problem is that you are not visiting, you are trying to live in Canada under a visitor status.

So most likely you will go through a second screening before getting in. Refusal is a total a possibility. It is also a possibility that no one will care.

asdfou

Dec 1, 2016
Jalex23 said:
It is up to the CBSA officer to reset it or not.

There is a note in your file saying that your intentions are not clear. Most likely it says you are trying to live in Canada while on a visitor status.

This will be taken into account when applying for extension.

The thing is that you are not "visiting" your wife. You are trying to live with her using a visitor status. Visits are short, meant to be 2-3 weeks. Your intentions totally point to you as a non-genuine visitor.

No, you can leave whenever you want. The CBSA officer will then evaluate if your implied status should be honoured or not on reentry. Yes, it is possible to reenter Canada before Jan 8th.

Again, the problem is that you are not visiting, you are trying to live in Canada under a visitor status.

So most likely you will go through a second screening before getting in. Refusal is a total a possibility. It is also a possibility that no one will care.
Alright, thanks for the help. I was also wondering if I have to confirm with the CBSA while leaving the country to show that I left before Jan. 8 or do I just leave as normal?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
asdfou said:
Alright, thanks for the help. I was also wondering if I have to confirm with the CBSA while leaving the country to show that I left before Jan. 8 or do I just leave as normal?
Usully CBSA officers state that they will want the permit back as proof that you left. Did they mentioned that to you? Maybe you would like to return the permit just to be sure.