+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language requirements for citizenship--LINC vs ESL

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Can anyone explain why only LINC language course results meeting CLB 4 are acceptable for citizenship applicants, but results of ESL courses (offered in many schools and community centres) are not recognized? I understand that LINC programs are federally-funded, and ESL programs are not, but why should that be a reason to reject applicants who have successfully completed ESL? Does the government believe that the quality of teaching at ESL programs is sub-standard? I have run into this problem trying to assist citizenship applicants, and they are understandably disappointed to find that after spending many months in a (non-LINC) ESL course, this isn't sufficient and now have to either register for LINC courses or pay $150 to take a CELPIP test. I can't find any satisfactory explanation for this on the CIC site or elsewhere.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Yelsew said:
Can anyone explain why only LINC language course results meeting CLB 4 are acceptable for citizenship applicants, but results of ESL courses (offered in many schools and community centres) are not recognized? I understand that LINC programs are federally-funded, and ESL programs are not, but why should that be a reason to reject applicants who have successfully completed ESL? Does the government believe that the quality of teaching at ESL programs is sub-standard? I have run into this problem trying to assist citizenship applicants, and they are understandably disappointed to find that after spending many months in a (non-LINC) ESL course, this isn't sufficient and now have to either register for LINC courses or pay $150 to take a CELPIP test. I can't find any satisfactory explanation for this on the CIC site or elsewhere.
1. Probably because the LINC program is monitored, where other ESL courses are not. So CIC has not idea if the ESL course is any good or not.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Yes, that's probably true, although you would think that the ESL providers would be taking steps to get recognized or accredited by the federal government. I guess in the meantime, permanent residents who are thinking of applying for citizenship should be advised to take only a LINC course to avoid delays and disappointment.