+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing visa, Marriage, landing

Jasmine27

Apr 24, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have been reading through many posts on getting married before landing, and as I understand it's a big NO to get married after your landing visa has been issued and before you actually land. However, I could not find a similar case to mine. So I appreciate your response.

My fiance is a PR. We both have been living in Canada for several years (not together) and we had filed our PR applications separately, before we even met.
The next day after we purchased our flight tickets to fly home and get married, I received the passport request email from the CIC. :-\
The flight is in less than three weeks so I don't want to send my passport to Ottawa right now (unless there is a way I can get expedited processing?)

My question is, assuming I receive my landing visa after getting married, how much of a delay can getting married cause in the rest of the process? Obviously,I don't need to sponsor my fiance, so I don't expect it to be too long. But then again, I have no idea how it may affect my application. Considering it has taken them 4 glorious years to send me the Pass. request email, I really don't want any more long delays :(

I hugely appreciate your replies,
Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If you are marrying someone who already has the right to enter and reside in Canada, it's not a real issue. Just inform CIC that your status has changed. They will probably ask you to update your application forms to include the new family member and ask you to return your COPR so that it can be reissued as "married", instead of "single". It's possible that they might not even ask for the COPR and just ask for it to be updated when you land.

Jasmine27

Apr 24, 2014
zardoz said:
If you are marrying someone who already has the right to enter and reside in Canada, it's not a real issue. Just inform CIC that your status has changed. They will probably ask you to update your application forms to include the new family member and ask you to return your COPR so that it can be reissued as "married", instead of "single". It's possible that they might not even ask for the COPR and just ask for it to be updated when you land.
Thanks a lot for the reply.
When you say "not an issue" , you mean I can land using a visa issued for my single status and then update my status to married? Also , I have not received the COPR yet, just am email asking for my passport.
Do you know if I need to officially register my foreign marriage here before I update my status, or will a translated of the marriage certificate be sufficient?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Jasmine27 said:
Thanks a lot for the reply.
When you say "not an issue" , you mean I can land using a visa issued for my single status and then update my status to married? Also , I have not received the COPR yet, just am email asking for my passport.
Do you know if I need to officially register my foreign marriage here before I update my status, or will a translated of the marriage certificate be sufficient?
No, I mean that they don't have to do medical examination or background checks. You should not attempt to land if your status has changed, unless CIC tell you that it's permissible. I don't think that you have to "register" a foreign marriage but CIC may require a translated copy of the marriage certificate. When you inform them of the change in status, they'll tell you what needs to be sent.

bun_ny_18

Star Member
Feb 2, 2013
philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC, Novo Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-11
Nomination.....
09-01-2012
File Transfer...
09-05-2013
Med's Request
31-07-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
Passport Req..
30-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-10-2013
LANDED..........
02-07-2014
zardoz said:
Hi,
Can anyone advise me...My brother in UAe applied under the MpnP..he received his visa with expiry date of january 2015...however, he decided to get married prior going to canada, last month...he has informed the visa office in UAE...but has not receive a reply yet...will he have to apply again.?does anyone know her situations like this....