+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing: Time limit on "Goods to follow"?

majkla

Oct 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As many new immigrants to Canada, I plan to stay for short time only after "landing" in Canada, go back to my current home country for now, and later return to settle in Canada permanently.

I've started to prepare the documents for the CBSA (b4 and b4a forms) and I am wondering if there is a time limit for the "goods to follow". Can I still bring in "goods to follow" after say 1 year from the date of the original "landing"? Or is there any official time limit between the landing date and the date the goods enter Canada?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
I'm not sure, but as I understand -the Goods to Follow List is valid for 1yr -post 1st landing.

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
majkla said:
As many new immigrants to Canada, I plan to stay for short time only after "landing" in Canada, go back to my current home country for now, and later return to settle in Canada permanently.

I've started to prepare the documents for the CBSA (b4 and b4a forms) and I am wondering if there is a time limit for the "goods to follow". Can I still bring in "goods to follow" after say 1 year from the date of the original "landing"? Or is there any official time limit between the landing date and the date the goods enter Canada?
When I entered Canada the Customs Officer at the CBSA informed me there is no time limit as such for the Goods to follow list, only that it has to be accompanied everytime we bring in something that is listed, at that time the Customs Officer would strikeout the item on the list in our original BA/B4a form and stamp it. This is as per what I was informed.

Max

Reactions: snoopyta

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
max_lee said:
When I entered Canada the Customs Officer at the CBSA informed me there is no time limit as such for the Goods to follow list, only that it has to be accompanied everytime we bring in something that is listed, at that time the Customs Officer would strikeout the item on the list in our original BA/B4a form and stamp it. This is as per what I was informed.

Max
Thanx for that update, Max...
QORAX

nicholas30

Champion Member
Nov 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as your goods to follow list is stamped you can bring them whenever you want.

majkla

Oct 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Two follow-up questions:

1. Is there any kind of penalty for putting item on your "Goods to Follow" list but then never bringing them in? When I first land, I can't be sure yet what goods (especially larger items like furniture, computers, Hi-Fi equipment & -loudspeakers etc.) I'd eventually want to bring into Canada. So I'm considering putting everything on the list and then later canceling the list after I've decided not to bring in any of the remaining items anymore.
2. If forget to put some of the items on the "Goods to Follow" list, what kind if import duties do I have to expect for the kinds of items I've mentioned above? I already know that I'd have to pay HST or GST/PST depending on the province the items are brought to. The items in question will originate from the European Union.

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
1. Your strategy is good and there is no penalty for not bringing something you initially included in the list... on the other hand if you don't include something then you'll have to pay taxes for it...

2. "if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, you don’t have to pay duty or taxes on the item. If the item is worth more than CAN$20, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item’s full value. " I guess this also includes items that you import at your landing. Here is where you can research more about imports and taxes...

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

majkla said:
Two follow-up questions:

1. Is there any kind of penalty for putting item on your "Goods to Follow" list but then never bringing them in? When I first land, I can't be sure yet what goods (especially larger items like furniture, computers, Hi-Fi equipment & -loudspeakers etc.) I'd eventually want to bring into Canada. So I'm considering putting everything on the list and then later canceling the list after I've decided not to bring in any of the remaining items anymore.
2. If forget to put some of the items on the "Goods to Follow" list, what kind if import duties do I have to expect for the kinds of items I've mentioned above? I already know that I'd have to pay HST or GST/PST depending on the province the items are brought to. The items in question will originate from the European Union.

mooving2canada

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
Punjab
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July2009
Doc's Request.
September2009
Nomination.....
December2009
AOR Received.
December2009
File Transfer...
September2009
Med's Request
1st Feb,2010
Med's Done....
18th March,2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
1st Feb,2010
VISA ISSUED...
7th April,2010
LANDED..........
Landed at Vancouver on 26th May,10. Residing at Burnaby and now looking for Job
Hi,
Can any1 plz send me the filled B4 and B4A forms just as sample at hundal.2k@gmail.com
Regards,
Jatinder Hundal

majkla

Oct 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ingegarcia said:
1. Your strategy is good and there is no penalty for not bringing something you initially included in the list... on the other hand if you don't include something then you'll have to pay taxes for it...

2. "if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, you don't have to pay duty or taxes on the item. If the item is worth more than CAN$20, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item's full value. " I guess this also includes items that you import at your landing. Here is where you can research more about imports and taxes...

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html
Thank you. I actually found the same page from the CBSA myself. Unfortunately, it doesn't really tell me about any additional duties and on what kind of items to expect them.

JPonmove

May 8, 2010
When I was searching web for more info, I also came across form B4, Can someone please confirm if they happen to file B15?

I can't locate form B15 on their website.

Thansk for your help

jdn

Sep 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2014
Med's Request
30-09-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2014
Passport Req..
23-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-10-2014
LANDED..........
01-07-2015
qorax said:
Thanx for that update, Max...
QORAX

majkla said:

max_lee said:

Max

Dear All ,

With reference to the earlier discussion 2010, is there any change in rules for customs regarding Goods to follow . Will I be able to bring in items from Goods to follow ( including Gold declared earlier ) after 1 year of landing date.

Regards,
Jdn

Fani

Dec 25, 2010
Dear All ,

With reference to the earlier discussion 2010, is there any change in rules for customs regarding Goods to follow . Will I be able to bring in items from Goods to follow ( including Gold declared earlier ) after 1 year of landing date.

Lili S

Dec 25, 2018
Hi Guys,
I was wondering, If I don't have a list of goods to follow at the time of my arrival, is it possible to prepare the list and submit it somewhere afterward?

Aiesline

Sep 22, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-05-2018
AOR Received.
29-06-2018
Hi, I'm landing on Tuesday. One of my children have a car in their fathers name. Can we add it to the goods to follow form and import it later in addition to my own car?

Also how detailed does this list have to be? I just now thought of this and I'm a little worried. Thanks for the help in advance.