+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Queries

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hey

Slightky confused now. For the immigration officer ideally it doesnt matter whether it is soft landing or hard landing. They would evaluate it as a first time landing and allow whatever I carry and ask for things to follow. The problem is, when we generally move in and out of canada, how does customs check work subsequent times. For example consider this, We take jewellery & laptops 10k CAD during soft landing. We then bring them back. Now next time when we land again, wont they again check for Jewellery and Laptops?
For soft vs hard, custom officer goes by your intent to settle for long term (180 days or 1 year) before labeling you as a settler. If you are not a settler (ie soft landing), those regulations don't apply to you.

For taking things temporarily out of country, you can declare them in BSF407, Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation, check this link for more details:
https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/declare
You cannot use it for things whose value was changed while outside country for ex. Changing a diamond from one ring to another.

Items thus declared will be added to a list that you can use to show to customs on re entry.

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
For soft vs hard, custom officer goes by your intent to settle for long term (180 days or 1 year) before labeling you as a settler. If you are not a settler (ie soft landing), those regulations don't apply to you.

For taking things temporarily out of country, you can declare them in BSF407, Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation, check this link for more details:
https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/declare
You cannot use it for things whose value was changed while outside country for ex. Changing a diamond from one ring to another.

Items thus declared will be added to a list that you can use to show to customs on re entry.
Ok so ideally I should make it clear to the custom officer that I am in Canada only for 2 weeks. and then he shall not ask me for goods accompanying and goods to follow lists. Correct?
And during my return trip to India, I should get this BSF407 form filled and approved by CBSA from canadian airport is it?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Ok so ideally I should make it clear to the custom officer that I am in Canada only for 2 weeks. and then he shall not ask me for goods accompanying and goods to follow lists. Correct?
And during my return trip to India, I should get this BSF407 form filled and approved by CBSA from canadian airport is it?
Yes, the form that you have to fill up itself states this quite clearly

No, you do this at port of entry when you are bringing in item for first time.

Practically speaking, it is best to avoid carrying lot of expensive items to/fro. If you must, keep their receipts or documentation indicating their Canadian origin (for Canadian bought items) and the list mentioned above (for items brought in under settler exemption).