+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada query

rollingpunjab

Star Member
Oct 1, 2015
Hello friends

I am primary applicant and will reach Canada by 18th July. My visa says that me and my wife will have to land there by 30th October. Is it possible that I land in July and my wife lands in October, first week. And then she leaves by November end?

Is it mandatory that my wife will have to stay there till she receives PR Card?

Please guide

Regards

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
You can land first and wife later.

rollingpunjab

Star Member
Oct 1, 2015
ttrajan said:
You can land first and wife later.
Yes she can land later. However my question is after landing is it mandatory for her to stay there for 3-4 months until she gets her PR card?
Or she can leave after a month or so ?

Regards

rollingpunjab

Star Member
Oct 1, 2015
ttrajan said:
She can leave earlier without PR card. But to enter Canada later she need PR card or TD.
what kind off TD (Travel document)?

Can she use her passport?

If yes then on passport visa stamp says that visa is valid till 30th October only. Is the same visa stamp applicable ?

When someone lands in Canada for the first time, do CIC official puts fresh visa stamp on the passport stating that it is valid till 5 yrs (duration of PR) ?

Please guide

rollingpunjab

Star Member
Oct 1, 2015
ttrajan said:
She can land Canada until 30th October with PR visa.
I know she can land in Canada till 30th Oct. But she intends to leave Canada by 30th November due to her job commitments. Obviously she will not get her PR Card with her because PR Card takes 2 months or so to arrive.

How will she land later on in the month of December or January?

Do the CIC official puts fresh visa stamp on the passport during first landing ?

What travel document can she use to land second time if PR Card is not available?

Please guide

jideomoba

Star Member
Nov 11, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rollingpunjab said:
I know she can land in Canada till 30th Oct. But she intends to leave Canada by 30th November due to her job commitments. Obviously she will not get her PR Card with her because PR Card takes 2 months or so to arrive.

How will she land later on in the month of December or January?

Do the CIC official puts fresh visa stamp on the passport during first landing ?

What travel document can she use to land second time if PR Card is not available?

Please guide
CIC will cancel the visa you were issued once you land as a PR. Your wife will need to apply for a travel document (TD) in order to re-enter Canada after becoming PR even if the re-entry date is before 30 October. The visa issued to you is a single entry and expires immediately you become PR (if used before the expiry date).

CIC does not issue you visa again once you become PR, it is expected that you wait for your card.

your option 1: find a way to send her the PR card, then she can enter Canada with that without need to apply for a TD

your option 2: If she has a US visa, she can fly to the US and then enter Canada by land using the confirmation of permanent residence slip.

rollingpunjab

Star Member
Oct 1, 2015
jideomoba said:
CIC will cancel the visa you were issued once you land as a PR. Your wife will need to apply for a travel document (TD) in order to re-enter Canada after becoming PR even if the re-entry date is before 30 October. The visa issued to you is a single entry and expires immediately you become PR (if used before the expiry date).

CIC does not issue you visa again once you become PR, it is expected that you wait for your card.

your option 1: find a way to send her the PR card, then she can enter Canada with that without need to apply for a TD

your option 2: If she has a US visa, she can fly to the US and then enter Canada by land using the confirmation of permanent residence slip.
I got some clarity from you post. Thanks a lot.

1. However, only my wife (dependent) will have to leave while I will stay back (primary applicant). Is it OK if I send her PR card upon receipt from CIC via someone going to India or through secured courier service.?

2. Secondly, is it possible if I collect my wife's PR card on her behalf when CIC sends it to my address?

Please guide

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Yes both are possible. They will send PR card by ordinary Canada post. It will come to your mail box.

ellia

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-10-2015
AOR Received.
22-11-2015
Med's Done....
23-11-2015
Passport Req..
16-05-2016
LANDED..........
04-07-2016
rollingpunjab said:
When someone lands in Canada for the first time, do CIC official puts fresh visa stamp on the passport stating that it is valid till 5 yrs (duration of PR) ?
This is not what you asked about, but just to clarify: your PR is not valid for 5 years, it is permanent, as the name suggests, as long as you satisfy the residency requirements. The 5 year validity is only for your PR card, which is just an ID and a travel document, the actual document proving your PR status is your COPR and it has no expiration date.
You probably knew that already and wrote that for brevity, but I thought I'll point this out for the future possible readers.