+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing At The End Of The Tax Year

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Hi,

A quick question: I will land and become a PR on the 21st December. I will be paid (to my UK bank account) salary from my UK job, that I will have just left, on the 23rd. I will have no Canadian income until January. Do I need to declare this and file taxes for the 2021 tax year?

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
Hi,

A quick question: I will land and become a PR on the 21st December. I will be paid (to my UK bank account) salary from my UK job, that I will have just left, on the 23rd. I will have no Canadian income until January. Do I need to declare this and file taxes for the 2021 tax year?
Not sure. The income was earned while you worked in the UK, but it will be received when you are in Canada. I don't think that it matters, at least officially, that the funds will be deposited into your UK bank.
So, you raise a good question, and perhaps there's an accounting expert that can chime in. I could be wrong, but seems that you're at minimal risk, in this case, to not filing Canadian taxes for 2021, unless you have other significant income activity at the end of the year (e.g., investments).

Last edited:
Reactions: canadan_