+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed 20+ year ago but leave 20+ years

jcacheng

Dec 1, 2016
Hi All,

I received my eTA approved. But received the following later. My eTA approval is still valid. What does it mean?

I have never applied PR before. There is no action specify here. What should I do?

Hello,

Our records show that you may be a permanent resident (PR) of Canada. This email is a reminder that you must present your valid Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada.

Canadian permanent residents who do not present a valid PR card or PRTD may be denied boarding their flight to Canada for not having the appropriate travel documents.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside of Canada. The expiry date is printed on the card. If your PR card is expired or will expire within six months, you should apply now to renew your card.

If you are in Canada and do not currently have a permanent resident card or your card is expired, find out how to apply for a permanent resident card.
If you are outside of Canada and do not have a PR card or your card is expired, find out how to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD).
Plan ahead and check the processing times to receive a valid PR card or PRTD before your next international trip.

Please note that if you believe you no longer meet Canada’s permanent residency requirements, your permanent resident status must be resolved before you can apply for a visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). For example, if you choose to give up (renounce) your permanent resident status, you can then apply for an eTA or a visa. Learn more about your residency requirements and your options as a permanent resident of Canada.

We encourage you to share this information with your family and friends as we want to avoid Canadian permanent residents experiencing travel delays because they don’t have the appropriate travel document to board a flight to Canada.

Thank you,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canad

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's a blanket email that all (or most) PRs are receiving. It appears to just be a reminder regarding the new eTA requirements for those traveling commercially back to Canada, that do not have a valid PR Card.

So...you have held your PR status for 20+ years, but have not returned to Canada during that time? If so...you are [technically] still a PR, but you may be reported by CBSA for non-compliance* when you come to Canada. They must still allow you to enter, but you may end up losing your PR eventually.

[* Unless you were sponsored by a Canadian spouse or partner and have been living abroad with said spouse/partner all this time.]

jcacheng

Dec 1, 2016
Thank you very much, Ponga.

Do I need to do anything? My eTA approved. I still carry on travel Canada and just wait and see for immigrant to revoke my PR status at the Port. Or I need to renounce it now....

Currently, No action was requested by CIC...

Thank you very much.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you don't really have to do anything.

Obviously, if CBSA asks you about your PR status you must answer truthfully. ;)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jcacheng said:
Do I need to do anything? My eTA approved. I still carry on travel Canada and just wait and see for immigrant to revoke my PR status at the Port. Or I need to renounce it now....
You are not a PR, so there is nothing to revoke or renounce.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The fact that the eTA was approved would indicate that OP lost their PR status at some point. Those who have applied for eTAs while still being PRs have had their apps refused and been told to apply for a PRTD.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
The fact that the eTA was approved would indicate that OP lost their PR status at some point. Those who have applied for eTAs while still being PRs have had their apps refused and been told to apply for a PRTD.
So, what generated the email? If PR status has been revoked, how/why would IRCC `think' that `maybe' the recipient is a PR?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ponga said:
So, what generated the email? If PR status has been revoked, how/why would IRCC `think' that `maybe' the recipient is a PR?
It's a mass generic email. I would expect many people without current PR status also got the email if their email address happened to be in CIC's database.

OP also says they never applied for PR before. Their other post shows the 20 year old landing was for a friend, not them.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
OP also says they never applied for PR before. Their other post shows the 20 year old landing was for a friend, not them.
Oh...you mean another post in a different thread?

I can't be bothered with researching other posts when trying to reply to a thread that says LANDED 20 + year ago... :)

jcacheng

Dec 1, 2016
Ponga said:
Oh...you mean another post in a different thread?

I can't be bothered with researching other posts when trying to reply to a thread that says LANDED 20 + year ago... :)
Yes, I have not been applied PR status ever.

But my friend had landed 20+years ago and as well left 20+ years ago. No PR card had ever applied ever as well.

I applied my friend's eTA and my eTA because my friend doesn't know how to apply. I reported truthfully that my friend had applied stay in Canada 'Yes' but there was no 'immigration number' at that time / or lost it and filled in 'N/A' as indicated.

Both of us got approved.

Originally I don't know what the reminder email is for whom but now I suspect it is a boardcasting email for those in CIC database.