+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

L1B-USA Visa & COPR

Joe110

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
Hi,

I have an interesting question on behalf of one of my friends.
She is from India, and recently got the COPR for Canada. Additionally, she has also got the L1 Visa sponsorship for the job in USA from her company and will have to move to USA soon for working there.

Now wondering, how to go about this?
1. Shall she move to USA first and then from USA goto Canada, do a SOFT Landing, come back to USA and then later in time move permanently to Canada?
2. Shall she move to Canada from India, do a SOFT Landing and then move to USA to work and then later in time move permanently to Canada?
3. Any other feasible route to follow

Anyone in a similar stance, please share your guidance. It will be highly helpful.

Best,
Joe

Reactions: mark@123

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi,

I have an interesting question on behalf of one of my friends.
She is from India, and recently got the COPR for Canada. Additionally, she has also got the L1 Visa sponsorship for the job in USA from her company and will have to move to USA soon for working there.

Now wondering, how to go about this?
1. Shall she move to USA first and then from USA goto Canada, do a SOFT Landing, come back to USA and then later in time move permanently to Canada?
2. Shall she move to Canada from India, do a SOFT Landing and then move to USA to work and then later in time move permanently to Canada?
3. Any other feasible route to follow

Anyone in a similar stance, please share your guidance. It will be highly helpful.

Best,
Joe
First thing, there is no point of Soft landing from India as you will be just coming with your luggage but nothing else.
From USA its called as Soft landing because people who have been living in USA and might want to shift their stuff which needs to have Goods to Follow list submitted during their Soft Landing and then they go back and move permanently with stuff at a later point.

So, either option 1 or 2 it doesn't matter. It all depends on her decision like which is of most important to her at this point of time.
My opinion, if she goes with Option 1, she would be able to declare goods to follow from USA when she plans to do soft landing in Canada. If she lands in Canada directly she couldn't go with this option as far as i know !

Joe110

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
Hi @swan0206,

Thanks for your response, it's helpful.

I might have to take a step back in the details shared, she is yet to have L1 Visa sponsorship as its underprocess.

The initial question she has is -
1. As her passport is stamped by the Canadian govt, will this impact her Visa interview for USA for L1? If they ask about the Canadian stamp, what to do ??

2. I understand about the Goods To Follow list, however, if I keep aside the luggage/stuff, what is more feasible option - that she first go to USA and then from there to Canada? If that's the case, does she have to inform IRCC of the change of address or something like that?

3. Is soft landing now allowed by IRCC?

4. Also, if she does a soft landing in Canada from USA, how soon does she have to move to Canada for a hard landing later?

5. Are there any other set of documents required if she first does a Soft Landing and then later in time, the hard landing? I read that PR Card is required else a PRTD is required once she is doing hard landing? Is that true? And yes, so how to go about getting PRTD?

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

-Joe

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi @swan0206,

Thanks for your response, it's helpful.

I might have to take a step back in the details shared, she is yet to have L1 Visa sponsorship as its underprocess.

The initial question she has is -
1. As her passport is stamped by the Canadian govt, will this impact her Visa interview for USA for L1? If they ask about the Canadian stamp, what to do ??

2. I understand about the Goods To Follow list, however, if I keep aside the luggage/stuff, what is more feasible option - that she first go to USA and then from there to Canada? If that's the case, does she have to inform IRCC of the change of address or something like that?

3. Is soft landing now allowed by IRCC?

4. Also, if she does a soft landing in Canada from USA, how soon does she have to move to Canada for a hard landing later?

5. Are there any other set of documents required if she first does a Soft Landing and then later in time, the hard landing? I read that PR Card is required else a PRTD is required once she is doing hard landing? Is that true? And yes, so how to go about getting PRTD?

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

-Joe
1. Canadian stamp is nothing to do with her USA Visa of any kind. In otherway that would add as an adavantage.
2. Yes, while soft landing sometimes they tend to apply for your PR card at land borders, might ask your address where to ship it. Your address changes need not be reported anywhere unless you have some important letters/docs coming in from IRCC/CRA.
3.They are allowing for now. Its all at the discretion of the Cbsa officers.
4.Generally if you want your goods to follow to be eligible to moved with you, its somewhere between 1yr to 1 and half. I am really not sure. You can check with CBSA during softlanding. But if goods are not following you, you can return upto 2 and half years after landing. This time period is because , you need to be inside Canada for 739 days out of your first 5years for able to extend your PR.
5. No, all documents are same. But there might be a question on why you are not moving at this point of time, have a valid answer and you are good.

For land travel i.e by car, if you have your CoPR and Passport you are good to enter. But if you are taking any other means you need a PR card/PRTD. I do not have any idea on PRTD, attaching a link for you

fyi:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prtd.755599/