+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Korean Police Clearance Certificate - included lapsed record

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
I emailed them for clarification and they replied me back. I suggest you contact them directly for clarifications
I was wondering what happened to your case? I'm almost in the same situation. The officer did not accept my Background Check Certificate. They asked an additional and I sent them the normal police certificate along with an explanation about the situation + the response from Korean police saying that this is illegal to obtain. Unfortunately, they again asked for additional! Now they have even added a comment hinting that I somehow must get the one they want! Here is the new message from the officer:
"Police Certificate: From Korea where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide an original police clearance certificate Please see the attached link as to How to get a police certificate https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugeescitizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html Please note that Background Check is not the same as a Criminal (Investigation) Records Check from a Korean
National Police Station in Koreea. The police certificate must indicate all records have been searched, including any lapsed records."

Any advice?

JTPr

May 15, 2020
I was wondering what happened to your case? I'm almost in the same situation. The officer did not accept my Background Check Certificate. They asked an additional and I sent them the normal police certificate along with an explanation about the situation + the response from Korean police saying that this is illegal to obtain. Unfortunately, they again asked for additional! Now they have even added a comment hinting that I somehow must get the one they want! Here is the new message from the officer:
"Police Certificate: From Korea where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide an original police clearance certificate Please see the attached link as to How to get a police certificate https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugeescitizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html Please note that Background Check is not the same as a Criminal (Investigation) Records Check from a Korean
National Police Station in Koreea. The police certificate must indicate all records have been searched, including any lapsed records."

Any advice?
Hey! I am sorry to hear that. But my case has just got approved last week! The officer managed to verify my information and thus accepted my explanation letter!!
If I were you, I would probably try to raise a webform explaining the situation again...? There is another person i knew on this forum got rejected right on the spot and then explained the situation via webform and got her case reopened again!

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Hey! I am sorry to hear that. But my case has just got approved last week! The officer managed to verify my information and thus accepted my explanation letter!!
If I were you, I would probably try to raise a webform explaining the situation again...? There is another person i knew on this forum got rejected right on the spot and then explained the situation via webform and got her case reopened again!
Thank you. Actually, the weird thing is that my application was also rejected! I raised a webform and they re-opened. After a month they asked for additional of the same thing. I got a new Background Certificate and submitted. Today, I was asked for the same again! May I ask what you included in your LoE? I, myself, attached the response from Korean Police Agency saying this is illegal + my written explanation.

I'm so confused now.

JTPr

May 15, 2020
Thank you. Actually, the weird thing is that my application was also rejected! I raised a webform and they re-opened. After a month they asked for additional of the same thing. I got a new Background Certificate and submitted. Today, I was asked for the same again! May I ask what you included in your LoE? I, myself, attached the response from Korean Police Agency saying this is illegal + my written explanation.

I'm so confused now.
Hi... i did the same. My full explanation along with official correspondence from South Korea Consulate in Toronto... maybe you should try to contact with South Korea Consulate in Toronto for clarifications?

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Hi... i did the same. My full explanation along with official correspondence from South Korea Consulate in Toronto... maybe you should try to contact with South Korea Consulate in Toronto for clarifications?
I'm actually an outland application, so I'm not living in Canada. Do you think it's good to email Korean Consulate in Toronto? How about calling the IRCC? Do they answer these types of inquiries on the phone?

JTPr

May 15, 2020
I'm actually an outland application, so I'm not living in Canada. Do you think it's good to email Korean Consulate in Toronto? How about calling the IRCC? Do they answer these types of inquiries on the phone?
Oh you are outland... hmmm then I am not really sure.. calling ircc may not be very helpful as I have done it for a few times..

but still try to call them and see what they can advise you as I am inland.. and got my background check cert from Toronto - South Korean Consulate..

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Oh you are outland... hmmm then I am not really sure.. calling ircc may not be very helpful as I have done it for a few times..

but still try to call them and see what they can advise you as I am inland.. and got my background check cert from Toronto - South Korean Consulate..
Thanks very much. I think I'll have to raise another webform explaining everything again. Hopefully, they'll understand and drop the additional. Who knew your Korean stay would cause such weird problems 7 years later!

mushhhfiq

Oct 30, 2020
Hi there. No, I did not get the police clearance certificate including lapsed records. But I followed @kheo247 advice above and I got a reply which I will submit along with the usual police clearance certificate. Thank you so much! @kheo247
Did you finally get accepted? after submitting the explanation you received via email? if some one does not live in Canada, where can they get this explanation from?

Rasmi

Oct 23, 2019
Hi how did your pr application go?

i called CIC, they said I passed everything. But my background check is pending due to South Korean Certificate with lasped record.

i have already included my explanation letter... but i dunno why they are still not accepting it and finalizing my application.......

i saw previous posts that people got their pr without providing the lapsed record certificate but simply explained..

hopefully we can get our pr soon!!
Hi so sorry for the late reply. I didn't end up applying because my IELTS exams have been postponed due to the coronavirus. I finally wrote IELTS 2 weeks ago. I hope everything went well for you :)

Dusyant Kumar

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
Hi Guys,
Any successful thread on this, I have to get my PCC for the PR application from Korea. The situation is still same, I am in Vancouver and i asked the Korean Embassy they told me that they can issue the PCC without lapse records, however on the IRCC website they need it. What is the way forward for the same?

Last edited: