App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Nomination.....
02-01-2013
Interview........
END OF SUMER .... OR SOONER - I HOPE
I AM NOT SURE WERE SHOULD I POST THIS -
Hello ,
Me and my family, we finally resave our documents, and at the end of the summer we will move in Calgary, but I have some questions about the education there. My son will become 5y old in 13 of May 2013- this means that in September he won’t have full 6y for school, so in this situation where should I sign him – in kindergarten, preschool or school? And what is the situation about the kindergartens, schools and preschools- are they private, or there is some that the government provides for the kids (like hire in Bulgaria) for free. Some friends from Calgary (there child now is 9-10y old) said that their kid use to visit government kindergarten and preschool every day from 9.00h to 15.00h for free and they only pay the after school from 15.00h to 18.00h (350$ every month ) but now its all private and very expensive like – 1000 $ every month. So …what is the situation, how the parents go to work, when they have to take care of the children all day every day , if they cannot afford private kindergarten , at least in the beginning , before they find a good job, and be able to afford the private preschool (kindergarten or school )? And especially in this age (5y and few months) what institution the child should visit, especially in our case when the child DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH?
Thank you very much for your help!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Home schooling is an option! It's free :D

Parents who choose to educate their children at home assume primary responsibility for delivering and supervising their child's courses of study and work as partners with a school board or accredited private school to ensure the child's educational goals are being met.

http://www.education.alberta.ca/parents/choice.aspx

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vasilev said:
Hello ,
Me and my family, we finally resave our documents, and at the end of the summer we will move in Calgary, but I have some questions about the education there. My son will become 5y old in 13 of May 2013- this means that in September he won't have full 6y for school, so in this situation where should I sign him – in kindergarten, preschool or school? And what is the situation about the kindergartens, schools and preschools- are they private, or there is some that the government provides for the kids (like hire in Bulgaria) for free. Some friends from Calgary (there child now is 9-10y old) said that their kid use to visit government kindergarten and preschool every day from 9.00h to 15.00h for free and they only pay the after school from 15.00h to 18.00h (350$ every month ) but now its all private and very expensive like – 1000 $ every month. So ...what is the situation, how the parents go to work, when they have to take care of the children all day every day , if they cannot afford private kindergarten , at least in the beginning , before they find a good job, and be able to afford the private preschool (kindergarten or school )? And especially in this age (5y and few months) what institution the child should visit, especially in our case when the child DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH?
My kid is 5 yrs old and going to Traditional Learning Centre Kindergarden program by CBE

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/prog-kinder.asp

Nice program...no fees...

Hope this answers your question

Thanks
Chandra

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
[flash=200,200][/flash]
vasilev said:
Hello ,
Me and my family, we finally resave our documents, and at the end of the summer we will move in Calgary, but I have some questions about the education there. My son will become 5y old in 13 of May 2013- this means that in September he won't have full 6y for school, so in this situation where should I sign him – in kindergarten, preschool or school? And what is the situation about the kindergartens, schools and preschools- are they private, or there is some that the government provides for the kids (like hire in Bulgaria) for free. Some friends from Calgary (there child now is 9-10y old) said that their kid use to visit government kindergarten and preschool every day from 9.00h to 15.00h for free and they only pay the after school from 15.00h to 18.00h (350$ every month ) but now its all private and very expensive like – 1000 $ every month. So ...what is the situation, how the parents go to work, when they have to take care of the children all day every day , if they cannot afford private kindergarten , at least in the beginning , before they find a good job, and be able to afford the private preschool (kindergarten or school )? And especially in this age (5y and few months) what institution the child should visit, especially in our case when the child DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH?
Depending on where you end up living in Calgary, you'll need to call the local schools. Most schools will do performance tests with the children to determine what grade they belong in.

You may want to get some English language software now and start it with your children. Age 6 is when the language cut off begins - children under age 6 can learn language much easier than older children and adults. Even if you can just get a CD with English songs that will help.

vasilev

Oct 18, 2012
bulgaria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Nomination.....
02-01-2013
Interview........
Well I definitely do not want home schooling for my kid, I prefer the social contact with other children and professional teachers who know what are they doing. About the language I do my best to teach him , he visit some lessons now , I talk with him in English ... but my English is not that good to teach him well enough.
And about the aria – I guess we will be in NW Calgary, coz my husband job is near by .
This mean that the school (preschool or kindergarten) should be there to – this is perfect , but my question was – is there any non private or free school (preschool or kindergarten) except the catholic , coz we are not catholic we are orthodox – well I do not mind my kid to visit this catholic school ( I even prefer it coz I have read a lot about how high quality is the education there) but I am not sure if they will accept non catholic children ?!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
vasilev said:
Well I definitely do not want home schooling for my kid, I prefer the social contact with other children and professional teachers who know what are they doing. About the language I do my best to teach him , he visit some lessons now , I talk with him in English ... but my English is not that good to teach him well enough.
And about the aria – I guess we will be in NW Calgary, coz my husband job is near by .
This mean that the school (preschool or kindergarten) should be there to – this is perfect , but my question was – is there any non private or free school (preschool or kindergarten) except the catholic , coz we are not catholic we are orthodox – well I do not mind my kid to visit this catholic school ( I even prefer it coz I have read a lot about how high quality is the education there) but I am not sure if they will accept non catholic children ?!
Non-Catholics are lowest on their priority list. You might be on a waiting list for years to get into that school.

vasilev

Oct 18, 2012
bulgaria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Nomination.....
02-01-2013
Interview........
emceemouli said:
My kid is 5 yrs old and going to Traditional Learning Centre Kindergarden program by CBE

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/prog-kinder.asp

Nice program...no fees...

Hope this answers your question

Thanks
Chandra
Yes Thank you Chandra , but from what I have read they have only half day 3 days a week program for children 5y old , is that so, or I did not understand it correct ?!

vasilev

Oct 18, 2012
bulgaria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Nomination.....
02-01-2013
Interview........
amikety said:
Non-Catholics are lowest on their priority list. You might be on a waiting list for years to get into that school.
yes , that is exactly what I have heard too … so what is my other options – only private preschools or kindergartens and schools?

vasilev

Oct 18, 2012
bulgaria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Nomination.....
02-01-2013
Interview........
http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/prog-kinder.asp#fullday

"full-day kindergarten

Since September 2005, the Calgary Board of Education has designated extra funding beyond the 475 hours per year funded by Alberta Education to provide full-day kindergarten programs in designated schools. These schools are identified as having large numbers of children who could benefit most from additional time at school to help them achieve the learning outcomes of Alberta Education’s kindergarten curriculum. Factors used to determine full-day kindergarten schools include an equity factor, which may result in children not having prior experiences that help prepare them for school, and an ESL/ELL factor that indicates a high percentage of children who require additional instructional time to assist in English language acquisition. In these identified schools, parents are advised that participation in the full-day kindergarten program is optional, and they may choose to have their child attend for half of the full day program.

The statistics used to identify the full day kindergarten schools are updated annually and this may result in changes to the list of schools that offer the full day program. As a result, we do not know until spring which schools will offer a full day program and therefore do not publish a list of full day kindergarten schools.

It is also important to know that registrations for full-day kindergarten can be accepted only for children living in the school’s designated area. Contact your designated school for registration information."

This is the info from the link that Chandra gave in her post – but is that only for catholic full day kindergartens, or there is some other full day kindergartens provided from the government , and what is the monthly tax for there?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I don't see where you're getting that's for Catholic schools. It seems like normal schools to me.

Preschool isn't covered by the board of education. You have to do that separately, on your own money. If you're working as well, it's best to find a day home or daycare that does preschool as part of their day.

vasilev

Oct 18, 2012
bulgaria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Nomination.....
02-01-2013
Interview........
amikety said:
I don't see where you're getting that's for Catholic schools. It seems like normal schools to me.

Preschool isn't covered by the board of education. You have to do that separately, on your own money. If you're working as well, it's best to find a day home or daycare that does preschool as part of their day.
Well I post my question in some other forum for Bulgarian moms, and one mom say that only the catholic kindergartens and preschools, are full day and free …. That is why I ask if this post is only for catholic kindergartens and preschools as well, or for all other non catholic schools.

Aiker

Jul 19, 2018
Zdraveyte! We are moving to Canada this winter with 2 and almost 5 years old daughters. Could you please share how was it working for you prom the kindergarten/preschool perspectives? Was it paid? How much? Any info would help! Blagodarya vi :)
Hello ,
Me and my family, we finally resave our documents, and at the end of the summer we will move in Calgary, but I have some questions about the education there. My son will become 5y old in 13 of May 2013- this means that in September he won’t have full 6y for school, so in this situation where should I sign him – in kindergarten, preschool or school? And what is the situation about the kindergartens, schools and preschools- are they private, or there is some that the government provides for the kids (like hire in Bulgaria) for free. Some friends from Calgary (there child now is 9-10y old) said that their kid use to visit government kindergarten and preschool every day from 9.00h to 15.00h for free and they only pay the after school from 15.00h to 18.00h (350$ every month ) but now its all private and very expensive like – 1000 $ every month. So …what is the situation, how the parents go to work, when they have to take care of the children all day every day , if they cannot afford private kindergarten , at least in the beginning , before they find a good job, and be able to afford the private preschool (kindergarten or school )? And especially in this age (5y and few months) what institution the child should visit, especially in our case when the child DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Zdraveyte! We are moving to Canada this winter with 2 and almost 5 years old daughters. Could you please share how was it working for you prom the kindergarten/preschool perspectives? Was it paid? How much? Any info would help! Blagodarya vi :)
Kindergarten for your 5 year old is free. Preschool / day care for your 2 year old is something you will have to pay for. How much depends on where you will be living. In Toronto, you'll likely be looking at around $1,500 per month.

Aiker

Jul 19, 2018
Kindergarten for your 5 year old is free. Preschool / day care for your 2 year old is something you will have to pay for. How much depends on where you will be living. In Toronto, you'll likely be looking at around $1,500 per month.
Thanks a lot!