+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Keeping US phone numbers in Canada

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Yes, just enroll to that 5$ north america roaming. It should be enough. If you are on postpaid, it will be more cost while roaming without this roaming plan. Also make sure after 2 days of activating the plan, call them back and verify if you have roaming plan enabled. Sometimes at the store they dont do it correctly and end up paying for roaming.
Call: As its unlimited, you can use your phone network.
Data: As its limited, try to use less while outside of home.

Rest should be fine to use it for years. No issues for the last 4 years.
Okay, understood. Thanks for your input.

Another question is have you investigated Google Fi option instead of T-mobile? The plan rate is better than T-mob, and it essentially allows unlimited international roaming without the need to think anything about line termination. Just wondering if Google Fi has a compelling disadvantage over T-mobile, especially while living in Canada, yet maintaining US number.

Thank you.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Okay, understood. Thanks for your input.

Another question is have you investigated Google Fi option instead of T-mobile? The plan rate is better than T-mob, and it essentially allows unlimited international roaming without the need to think anything about line termination. Just wondering if Google Fi has a compelling disadvantage over T-mobile, especially while living in Canada, yet maintaining US number.

Thank you.
I did not but seems that unlimited plan is 60$ per line which is not required as t-mobile plans dont cost this much (as we dont use that much data anyway). Also looks like the old phones might not be compatible with Fi.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thanks @harirajmohan & @Alex54321 for your inputs. I think I'l; just hang on with my current T-mobile plan and continue to use call/text over WiFi. One question I have is do you have to pay extra for N.A option covering Canada and Mexico? After talking with T-mob rep, I got an impression that I need to enroll in this.

Thanks
Again my TMobile plan is not representative, since I keep it for very looong time. It's an old "Simple Choice" Family Unlimited Talk&Text ($90/mo) with 3 lines, in each North America option add up for $10 (Feature includes: Call and text to and from the U.S., Mexico, and Canada as much as you want, and use your monthly high-speed data (up to 5GB) in Canada and Mexico at no extra charge. Streaming music on top services like Pandora and iHeartRadio without using your data on our network or in Canada or Mexico.)
Since roaming included I use it in Europe as well ( visitor trips), just turn up Call Forwarding to make sure all accidental/spam calls go directly to my mail box.
All messages are unlimited and WhatsUp rules ....

4RyL

Jun 6, 2017
Hi, I am on a T-Mobile family plan with about 12 numbers. The primary account holder will be in US and I will be moving to Canada soon. Can still I use my US number while in Canada? What do I need to do so my number is not deactivated? Thanks

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I have 3 lines with T-Mobile, all 3 lines have additional ($10 each) North America option. With this option I can use the phone in Canada as in US, no roaming charges. The funny thing I just checked my/our usage. Almost 0 minutes calls, a lot of messages and data usage ( stil below 2gb allowed).

Most of the time we use WhatsUp or Viber anyways, when I call to Europe I use Google voice ( i.e 1cent/min for Germany) - again ove WiFi ( from home ) or data plan on the go. Even local Canadian calls from home go over WiFi.

No complains from TMobile so far, since September 2018. That's our experience.

Reactions: swan0206 and mpsqra

Laaker

Feb 10, 2022
The telephone number porting service is valid when switching from one country to another. To make sure that this is possible, you can go to the mobile operator to establish this and of course to conclude the contract. In Canada, you will already choose a new operator, and you will announce that you want to keep the number. When I was in Europe, I was told that the port period lasts up to 2 weeks. I was offered a temp number france for personal use during this time.