+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Jobless sponsor

Cloud5

Jan 11, 2024
Hello,
I would like to know the consequences if the sponsor loses his job after AOR (spouse outland sponsorship). Thanks.

Last edited:

Cloud5

Jan 11, 2024
Hello,
I would like to know the consequences if the sponsor loses his job after AOR (spouse outland sponsorship). Thanks.

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
There is no requirement to be employed to sponsor as there is no income requirement. If you have lost your job you can also claim EI without it aspecting your application as EI isn't social assistance.

Cloud5

Jan 11, 2024
There is no requirement to be employed to sponsor as there is no income requirement. If you have lost your job you can also claim EI without it aspecting your application as EI isn't social assistance.
OK so as the sponsor I don't need to send a webform to update IRCC in case I change my job or I become jobless ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OK so as the sponsor I don't need to send a webform to update IRCC in case I change my job or I become jobless ?
You should update IRCC about any changes to your application. There is no income requirement for sponsoring a spouse but you do need to show that you can support your family without government support. Approximately how much savings have you shown? It would be best to show that you are employed to prevent any potential delays or questions about your application so once employed again submit another webform with proof that your are employed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, you don't need to update IRCC and being employed is not a requirement for sponsorship.
Not being employed is not a requirement but you do need to show that you are able to support your family financially without government help. You should update IRCC about any changes to your application.

Reactions: Temidayo_

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no specific income requirement if the sponsorship application does not involve grandchildren but you do need to show that you are able to financially support your family without government support. There are applications that do get refused or a spouse is asked for additional information about how you will be able to support your family financially. When sponsors are on provincial disability payments for example it is not unusual for a spouse to be asked how they will be able support their families financially. There have been other cases where the spouse in Canada is either unemployed or working part-time at a low hourly rate where IRCC has asked for more information about how they will support their family.