+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job offer and Closed WP(LMIA exempt, c20)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi All, My wife is on TRV in Canada as a visitor. She has got offer letter from LMIA exempt employer and has received LMIA/Employer number as well. Can we go and get work permit by flag polling?
Only citizens of visa-exempt countries can get a work permit at the border.

She CAN apply to change from visitor to worker if she applies for a spouse open work permit; she is only eligible for that if (a) you can prove that you are employed full-time in a skilled occupation (letter from your employer, recent paystubs); or (b) you have applied for PR ...

Otherwise, if she wants to apply for a work permit using her job offer, she will have to leave and apply from a visa office outside of Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=172&top=17

El_Brujo81

Sep 4, 2019
Hello Everyone!

I'm facing a similar situation. I've been working for my employer for almost 2 years at this time, the first year under a 1-year PGWP, then I was granted a 3-year employer-specific WP under a FTA. I'm claiming 50 CRS points based on the idea that I meet the requirements for a LMIA-exempt valid job offer.

One immigration consultant I asked about this says that a job offer would be valid after a year working for my employer under the employer-specific WP, despite that I already have 1 year of PGWP experience with the same employer.

I'm just wondering, according to what I'm seeing on this post, regardless of the WP status I had during my first year of experience, as long as I keep working for my employer under the closed WP and I'm able to gather the supporting documentation for a valid job offer from them, it should be OK to go ahead submitting an APR in the case I receive an ITA. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a valid job offer and my best option would be declining the ITA. Can you guys confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
One immigration consultant I asked about this says that a job offer would be valid after a year working for my employer under the employer-specific WP,
Not true. You just need one year of experience with the same employer (regardless of type of permit), and for your CURRENT work permit to have your employer named on it.

See below, the two criteria (one year of experience, named on permit) are under different bullet points!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

"if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:

• are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa"
I'm just wondering, according to what I'm seeing on this post, regardless of the WP status I had during my first year of experience, as long as I keep working for my employer under the closed WP and I'm able to gather the supporting documentation for a valid job offer from them, it should be OK to go ahead submitting an APR in the case I receive an ITA.

That would be correct.

Reactions: Pgill2609

El_Brujo81

Sep 4, 2019
Is this correct and did you get the 50 points . Please reply
Well, the only thing I can tell you right now is that I'm claiming the points based on previous responses to this thread.

As long as you meet the criteria for a valid job offer with an employer-specific LMIA-exempt work permit AND you get a recent job offer letter from your employer with employment duration of at least one year after IRCC issues your PR, then you should be good to go. All the best!

El_Brujo81

Sep 4, 2019
I'm pleased to share with you guys that we became PR of Canada effective Jun 1, 2020.
Thanks, @jes_ON and everybody else on this thread for your insights. It wouldn't be possible without this valuable information!

Reactions: Pgill2609

ArshaA

Apr 18, 2020
I have recently received the ITA. I have not claimed points for job offer. For my Canadian work experience, in the express entry profile, I mentioned the job category as "Work permit, LMIA required". After receiving the ITA, when I checked with my employer, I was told that the work permit is LMIA exempt. Is it fine if I change the job category to "Work permit, No LMIA required" in the PR application and mention the change in the LOE? P.S: The CRS score has not changed due to this change.

Nov 9, 2021
Hyderabad
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-11-2021
AOR Received.
08-11-2021
Med's Done....
25-092-2021
What exactly is C-20? My employer submitted mine under this category, I can't understand what exactly this is about.

Nov 9, 2021
Hyderabad
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-11-2021
AOR Received.
08-11-2021
Med's Done....
25-092-2021
I work as a Software Engineer with NOC 2173, I went through the above-mentioned URL. I hold 4+ years of experience with my employer(overall 7+), what would have motivated them to go with C-20 rather than C-12 even though I have specialized knowledge requirements?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I work as a Software Engineer with NOC 2173, I went through the above-mentioned URL. I hold 4+ years of experience with my employer(overall 7+), what would have motivated them to go with C-20 rather than C-12 even though I have specialized knowledge requirements?
No Idea. You need to talk to your employer. C-20 is reciprocal so there is neutral labour impact. As an example, your company is bringing on a Canadian in your country.

Reactions: akhil.eswar502

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What does neutral labour impact mean? Do you mean that there are high chances that my Work Permit will be approved?
C20 is a reciprocal code (there are examples) so is your employer bringing one of their Canadian employers to your office, and you are moving to the Canadian office in exchange? That is neutral labour impact.

Reactions: akhil.eswar502
Nov 9, 2021
Hyderabad
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-11-2021
AOR Received.
08-11-2021
Med's Done....
25-092-2021
C20 is a reciprocal code (there are examples) so is your employer bringing one of their Canadian employers to your office, and you are moving to the Canadian office in exchange? That is neutral labour impact.
Gotcha. But what are the chances that my Work Permit will be approved? It will be approved only once the Canadian employee is available to move to my office?