+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IT Jobs in Alberta

gauravs04

Mar 8, 2009
Are there enough IT jobs in Alberta ? Any ideas which major companies have thier base or offices in Alberta ?
What kind of a job a person with 7 years of experience in IT be looking for in Alberta and what kind of renumeration can one expect ?

Thanks......

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
what are you trying to 'count again'?

as far as 'remuneration' - you may count on lesser (75-80% but I may be wrong) than what you got in the states (assumption - peace of mind is priceless and you don't account for it in your package)
:)

qwerty1981

Apr 7, 2009
nomad...well said.
peace of mind...
that is the sole reason i am soo interested in the Canadian PR......
i have had enough of this second class treatment we are met with here.....

:((

nomad_musafir said:
what are you trying to 'count again'?

as far as 'remuneration' - you may count on lesser (75-80% but I may be wrong) than what you got in the states (assumption - peace of mind is priceless and you don't account for it in your package)
:)

bendjoe

Aug 23, 2008
gauravs04 said:
Are there enough IT jobs in Alberta ? Any ideas which major companies have thier base or offices in Alberta ?
What kind of a job a person with 7 years of experience in IT be looking for in Alberta and what kind of renumeration can one expect ?

Thanks......
Sounds like you need money more than anything.

Remember Kevin Spacey character gave up his white collar job and started flippin burgers in American Beauty.

qwerty1981

Apr 7, 2009
good one....

bendjoe said:
gauravs04 said:

Thanks......

Remember Kevin Spacey character gave up his white collar job and started flippin burgers in American Beauty.

johnwilson

Apr 8, 2009
No Offense but just a waste of space..

Already this question was asked and for a good JOB you need a PR first
and do have to wait for economy to open up.

But one good thing-- you can live your life -- not like a stressed H1b mind..

qwerty1981 said:
good one....

bendjoe said:
gauravs04 said:

Thanks......

cooldeepforyou

Star Member
Feb 25, 2009
Hello Guys,
I am bringing up this thread again for people who have already got PR and planning to Move to Alberta.
First thing, i agree that we will get peace of mind because we have PR and we can do whatever we want but the hard question is how tough is it to find a IT job in alberta, how fast we can find job comparing similar situation with US.
If anyone have experiences, thoughts who they want to share, and have already gone through this. please share your thoughts.. I have fews points just to start
a) do we need to go directly to the employer
b) are they more of consulting in nature or are of full time jobs.
c) how competitive the work enviornement is.
d) salaries etc.
e) should we go through employment agencies to find it faster.

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cooldeepforyou said:
Hello Guys,
I am bringing up this thread again for people who have already got PR and planning to Move to Alberta.
First thing, i agree that we will get peace of mind because we have PR and we can do whatever we want but the hard question is how tough is it to find a IT job in alberta, how fast we can find job comparing similar situation with US.
If anyone have experiences, thoughts who they want to share, and have already gone through this. please share your thoughts.. I have fews points just to start
a) do we need to go directly to the employer
b) are they more of consulting in nature or are of full time jobs.
c) how competitive the work enviornement is.
d) salaries etc.
e) should we go through employment agencies to find it faster.

a) Generally people prefer going to job search shops to get better coverage. There are few employers who advertise directly, their recruitment process is relatively slower and those are the ones not in much hurry to hire.

b) There are consulting jobs and full time jobs. Unlike US, there is more preference for fulltime jobs. Even thought you might be working at a client site, you might be a full time employee of a consulting organization.

c) The work environment is different than the US. More formal in nature and more welcoming for immigrants unlike the US. Intially you will say 'US was better' but its just matter of getting used to the culture. On the technology front, there is not much openess to change and implement changes in process or investment in new arenas.

d) Salaries are slightly lower than the US. But then you can factor the free Medicals, peace of mind, assured naturalization etc, its worth the tradeoff. Again it is all depends on your skillset. There are people who get same or more salary than the US as the immigration factor is no longer a fear for negotiation.

e) I would recommend going through employment agencies. Avoid going through too many as you dont want your resume to be submitted to the same client twice. To avoid conflict these resumes are sometimes put aside to avoid complications.

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Amount of satisfaction in Alberta also depends on what type of time you are having in US. If you are one of those luckiest H1s who are working in fulltime positions offered by fortune 500 as a senior IT professional with US Masters/PhD, earning six figure salary then you may have to wait a little bit to get same satisfaction in Alberta or you may never get.
If you are living in poultry farm of reddy where every evening he scare you with H1 cancellation, project, pay stub and all those bogus practices then from day one you will be singing O.. Canada... and will become true Alberta patriot.

goolti

May 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
washington.state said:
Amount of satisfaction in Alberta also depends on what type of time you are having in US. If you are one of those luckiest H1s who are working in fulltime positions offered by fortune 500 as a senior IT professional with US Masters/PhD, earning six figure salary then you may have to wait a little bit to get same satisfaction in Alberta or you may never get.
If you are living in poultry farm of reddy where every evening he scare you with H1 cancellation, project, pay stub and all those bogus practices then from day one you will be singing O.. Canada... and will become true Alberta patriot.
If you want to find the true colors of your poultry farm please visit goolti.com

Also feel free to share all your experience and hardships you were put through through before you went to Alberta.