+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Issue around WP Transfer while in canada

nikoli

Star Member
Feb 6, 2013
Hii,
this is regarding canadian law of immigration.
I am in canada for almost 9 months now (working for a client Y but a employee of organization X (based out of canada but has a registered office in canada) under a closed work permit (Filed by X earlier)).
I am running the risk of going back to my home country (as employee of X) since the client Y has a budget cut.
My spouse has a Open Work Permit based on my WP (does not have a job as yet).

Question --
1. If i have to go to my home country can my spouse stay in canada and work in an organization (once a job is procured)?
2. If i get in touch with a Recruiter and get my WP transferred (get a LMO filed through the express service) without going back to my home country (while resigning from my current employer X), then does my spouse need to get a new OWP or will the current one work?

I would be glad if i can get the answer to my issues.

PS -- Kindly let me know if this is not the right forum to post this question to. :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nikoli said:
Hii,
this is regarding canadian law of immigration.
I am in canada for almost 9 months now (working for a client Y but a employee of organization X (based out of canada but has a registered office in canada) under a closed work permit (Filed by X earlier)).
I am running the risk of going back to my home country (as employee of X) since the client Y has a budget cut.
My spouse has a Open Work Permit based on my WP (does not have a job as yet).

Question --
1. If i have to go to my home country can my spouse stay in canada and work in an organization (once a job is procured)?
2. If i get in touch with a Recruiter and get my WP transferred (get a LMO filed through the express service) without going back to my home country (while resigning from my current employer X), then does my spouse need to get a new OWP or will the current one work?

I would be glad if i can get the answer to my issues.

PS -- Kindly let me know if this is not the right forum to post this question to. :)
1. You leave Canada, her SOWP is no longer valid.
2. There is no "express service" these days. You need a new LMO, new work permit before you could start work. Your new job would have to be A, B or O in the NOC for your spouse to be eligible for a SOWP>

nikoli

Star Member
Feb 6, 2013
Thanks a lot PMM for your response..

Is it possible for me to stay here after I quit my job under my TRV?

Can my wife work on her OWP then?

If so, I can possibly wait for my new LMO here in Canada itself..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nikoli said:
Thanks a lot PMM for your response..

Is it possible for me to stay here after I quit my job under my TRV?

Can my wife work on her OWP then?

If so, I can possibly wait for my new LMO here in Canada itself..
Yes and yes.