+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is this considered a Canadian company or not?

Jun 22, 2007
Hi there,

Looking for some help. I am a Dutch citizen and a Canadian Permanent Resident. I have lived in Canada for the past 6 years. I work for the Canadian company Provincial Aerospace in Newfoundland. I am being sent on contract (for anywhere between 3 and 12 years) to Curacao (the Netherlands Antilles). There I will be working for Provincial Airlines N.V., which will be a Netherlands Antillean company, wholly owned by the Canadian company Provincial Aerospace. Will I be considered to be working for a Canadian company? In other words, can I stay for longer than 3 years and keep my Permanent Residency in Canada? I will not be paying income taxes in Canada anymore, but in the Netherlands Antilles.

Thanks for your help,

Dutch PR holder

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
hey dutch pr

You should probably visit the legal department/representative of Provincial Aerospace and explain your concerns to them. They certainly wouldn't want to cause you to lose your PR status, right?

Get clarification on whether Provincial Airlines N.V. has an ongoing operation in Canada as well as Netherlands Antilles. If it does, you'll probably be ok. If not, perhaps you can arrange to be a paid employee of Provincial Aerospace rather than Provincial Airlines. Talk with the company's lawyer(s) about it, as they'll be best acquainted with the organizational structure and how to make sure you're complying with PR requirements.

Jun 22, 2007
Thanks for your reply. I will try to find out more about the setup of the business. But let's say that Provincial Airlines N.V. is not considered a Canadian business, and I stay for more than three years. Six years, for example. I will lose my Canadian Permanent Residency in that case. Is it possible to get your Permanent Residency back? Can you apply again? Just wondering how that would work. I have two little children that have both Canadian and Dutch passports, I have a wife who is Dutch (and a Permanent Resident of Canada) and let's assume I would have a job with Provincial Aerospace of Newfoundland again.

Thanks for your help,

Dutch PR Holder