+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there a limit on the number of absences for PR obligation?

austintoo

Jul 24, 2012
I am about to apply for PR renewal and have had many absences (each 2 months or less in duration) from Canada in the last 5 years (mainly for work with an international company), but do meet the 730 day rule. Is there any cap on the number of absences even if the day tally is on the positive side of 730?
Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
austintoo said:
I am about to apply for PR renewal and have had many absences (each 2 months or less in duration) from Canada in the last 5 years (mainly for work with an international company), but do meet the 730 day rule. Is there any cap on the number of absences even if the day tally is on the positive side of 730?
Thanks to anyone who can clarify.
No, there is no limit on the number of absences but make sure when you apply that you have a very organized list of your absences to match your passport stamps. The way I would do it is make copies of all the pages of your passport and on the copies, write a number corresponding to each stamp. Then make a list of your travels where you match each stamp with a trip. Sometimes people have applied to renew their PR card and have gotten RQ's even though they met the requirements just because they had many stamps.

austintoo

Jul 24, 2012
Thank you for this useful information. I can also get a supporting letter from the company I work for. is this also a good idea? I work as a seafarer so have records of sea service as well. Should I include them and can they be counted as days "in Canada"?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have 730 days in Canada, you do not need a letter from your employer. There is a question on the application though that asks how many days did you spend outside Canada working for a Canadian employer. However, it says somewhere else that in order to count days working for a Canadian employer outside Canada, you must have been transferred to an overseas position on a permanent basis. Basically saying, you can add it if you want to but it is not needed and may not help. However, if they don't believe your 730 days, maybe it will edge them to the right direction.

austintoo

Jul 24, 2012
Thank you again for invaluable information. In reference to the passport suggestion (cross referencing passport stamps to travel list): I have a comprehensive travel list of dates since I became a permanent resident, however there are not even half the corresponding number of Canadian entry stamps in my passport - officials often scan your passport and do not stamp it on re-entry to Canada. Rather than have an incomplete set of cross references, is it best just to supply the information as required (additional documents - copies of all passport pages) to keep it simple?
Thanks