+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Solemnization of marriage acceptable? Inland or outland?

ipanemasand

Nov 21, 2009
Hello everyone,

I'm Canadian, and my Japanese girlfriend, whom I have been with for ten years, and I are about to marry in Toronto. Of the ten years, we did not spend any time in Canada together and she has just arrived to Toronto a couple of weeks ago. A few questions:

1. We want to start the immigration process immediately but apparently it takes 8-10 weeks to receive the Certificate of marriage which is needed for the spousal sponsorship. Does anybody know if they will accept the "Record of solemnization of marriage" issued by the marriage officiant and stamped by the city in lieu of certificate of marriage?

2. Is it better and faster to apply inland (I understand that would be Calgary) or outland (Buffalo)?

3. What is the most definitive way to prove our relationship? We won't have a problem creating a joint bank account, but utility bills are a problem since we've never lived together in Canada.

Thank you very much for your help. I look forward to reading your advices.

Regards,
i

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
1. I have heard of people sending in the solemnization of marriage and attaching a letter stating they will gladly send in the marriage certificate when it comes in. It may delay your process a little, but of that I'm not certain.

2. It is more often than not recommended to apply outland. If you apply inland the process can take years, and your girlfriend/wife will have a tough time travelling (i.e. basically stuck in Canada while the process is underway... and a lengthy process at that!) I am not sure what the timeline is for Japan, but you can check that out on CIC's website. I am sure it is much quicker than applying inland.

3. It is not required to have a joint bank account or utility bills for spouses. That is more common law. However, it definitely can't hurt and should be included in your application. They are looking for pictures, phone bills, chats, e-mails, letters. If you have friends and relatives who can write letters explaining how they know about and approve of your relationship and have their contact information that helps as well. Also, a wedding with family members and a honeymoon is an added perk!

Best of luck to you!