+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is residency renewal an essential journey?

rosesuperted

Star Member
Apr 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am short 110 days for my residency renewal which is up in Dec 2021. I had planned to return in June 2020 but have delayed returning due to travel advice and personal health. Now I am (freaking out!!) that I will be run out of time. Even though the advice is not to travel, should I go asap?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am short 110 days for my residency renewal which is up in Dec 2021. I had planned to return in June 2020 but have delayed returning due to travel advice and personal health. Now I am (freaking out!!) that I will be run out of time. Even though the advice is not to travel, should I go asap?
Yes, in your best interest to save your permanent residency. No knows if the government will escalate further incovenience and costs to inbound travelers to Canada than it has announced today.

rosesuperted

Star Member
Apr 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks I think you are right. It seems crazy to be traveling right now but so be it.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
Permanent Residency is to live inside Canada,,, Gouvernment have to deny people who lives outside Canada more then 6 months like US.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
Your information is outdated. On the Canadian side, there is no such rules.
so, this is a free blog,
in my opinion, that's why people abuse, just use Canada as Medical supplier,
taking away the opportunity to those who really want to live in Canada PERMANENTELY,
just remember Harper's law

Reactions: mpsqra

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Permanent Residency is to live inside Canada,,, Gouvernment have to deny people who lives outside Canada more then 6 months like US.
Your information is outdated. On the Canadian side, there is no such rules.
so, this is a free blog,
taking away the opportunity to those who really want to live in Canada PERMANENTELY,
If you are suggesting that PRs spending more than six months outside Canada takes away the opportunity to those who really want to live in Canada PERMANENTLY, that may be your opinion but there is NO evidence to support that. Not all opinions are created equal. Some opinions, more than a few these days it seems, are not worth the breath taken to utter them.

Meanwhile, a U.S. style six month rule has NOT had a role, NONE at all, in maintaining PR status in Canada for nearly two decades, at the least. There was no such "Harper law," at least not a Canadian law, not a Canadian Harper (if "Harper" here is in reference to the former PM Stephen Harper, his government never introduced let alone implemented any six month rule).

You are correct that under the current law, as it has been for nearly two decades (and probably a lot longer, but my familiarity with the law only goes back to the adoption of IRPA in 2002), the purpose for granting PR status is indeed so the individual can settle and live PERMANENTLY in Canada.

But spending periods of time living outside Canada, even for more than a year or two, let alone more than just six months, is NOT inconsistent with permanently settling in Canada, making Canada's one permanent home. Thus, under the current law (since 2002) PRs may be absent from Canada for up to THREE YEARS with NO QUESTIONS asked about why, NO NEED to JUSTIFY. Even longer under some circumstances.

In the meantime, who is provided health care in Canada is governed by Provincial law, not Federal law, not immigration law. Most (perhaps all, I just have not checked all) provinces have residency requirements, which in some (at least some) includes an actual physical presence requirement. For example, to be covered by the Ontario health system, OHIP, an individual must be a resident of Ontario AND physically present in Ontario at least 153 days in the calendar year. Who qualifies for health care, and who does not, does NOT have any role in the rules governing the PR residency obligation or otherwise have any effect of whether a PR gets to keep PR status.

This forum often sees posting critical of the exploitation of Canada's health care system. I do not know the extent of the abuses. I do know that the provinces have enforcement programs and that the penalties can be substantial, if not severe, and more serious breaches of the laws governing eligibility for health care can result in criminal prosecutions. But in any event, this has zero to do with the PR Residency Obligation.

Reactions: MidoRafa

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so, this is a free blog,
Even so, don't you think you are actually abusing this free space? No one is taking away the opportunity to those who really want to live in Canada permanently.