+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is PR status lost if PR renewal is denied due to failure of RO

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Let me clarify. My son left Canada in July 2020 and I left in Sep 2020. I applied citizenship before leaving. I waited until notice for ceremony and traveled back to Canada in June 2022 and returned to China in AUGUST 2022 after I got citizenship. I guessI time since August 2022 could be counted into my son's RO. And I assume he might have fewer chances to be reported if he returns to Canada through USA border before his 22 birthday.
How much time do you have before he turns 22? It may be the safest to try to enter before it and if anything bad happens, you still have the option to sponsor him (before he turns 22 and at least after AOR in case the application is returned after he turned 22).

It's really up to you. And to sponsor him, you need to show that you will return to Canada as a citizen.

chaimaomao

Nov 14, 2022
If you are asking whether the PR Residency Obligation clock starts over, NO, it does not.

Beyond that, this is a complex subject, tangled with complicated nuances, very much dependent on the particular details in the individual case. What actually happens can and will vary considerably from one person to another. The risks vary so widely it is very difficult if not near impossible to even ballpark the odds.

The only for sure safe approach is to STAY in Canada long enough to be in compliance with the RO and then not stay abroad for so long that they fall short of having been IN Canada at least 730 days within the previous five years . . . as of any day, as of every day.

That's how the RO works: to be in compliance with the RO, the PR needs to have spent at least 730 days IN Canada within the previous five years. A new PR card does not change that. (The clock does NOT start over.)

A positive H&C relief adjudication complicates this. It does NOT affect the calculation of RO compliance itself the next time the PR is examined, which can happen anytime when the PR arrives at a PoE returning to Canada. The RO compliance calculation is still based on whether or not the PR was IN Canada at least 730 days in the five years preceding that day.

But the previous H&C decision is entitled to credit in so far as it has determined that H&C relief was warranted as of the date that decision was made, considering absences from Canada prior to that date and the reasons for them. What that prior decision did not (and could not) have considered is the nature and extent of absences AFTER the H&C decision, or the reasons for the absences after the H&C decision.

Generally a PR allowed to keep PR status based on a positive adjudication allowing H&C relief, and issued a new PR card, can safely (well, with low risk) travel outside Canada using the new PR card to return to Canada, if they are going abroad for SHORT trips, particularly so if the short trips only take place AFTER it is readily apparent the PR is well-settled in Canada and has established permanent residence in fact here (not to be confused with having immigration status of a Permanent Resident). This is rife with caveats. One of the caveats is that the longer or more frequent the trips aboard, and especially so if the PR has not, first, clearly well settled here in Canada, increases the risk of inadmissibility proceedings and loss of PR status the next time the PR returns to Canada.

Another caveat is that it appears IRCC will many times approve issuing a new PR card, even though it is readily apparent the PR is in RO breach, without formally adjudicating whether that is based on H&C relief. Even though the application for a new PR card specifically asks for H&C relief. Then subsequent travel abroad is very much at risk if the PR does not meet the RO the next time they arrive back in Canada (that is, if the PR has been in Canada fewer than 730 days within the five years of that day, the day they return here). Credit for a previous H&C decision, in weighing whether the PR still deserves to keep status despite being in breach of the RO (such as, when they next return to Canada after an absence), depends on there having been a formal adjudication granting H&C relief.

It is not easy to characterize the difference it makes, in terms of risk, if the new PR card was issued without a formal adjudication of H&C relief, versus when there has been a formal adjudication. That is because either way, if a PR leaves Canada and is in RO breach the next time they return, there is (of course) some risk their RO compliance will be examined, and if in breach of the RO then subject to Inadmissibility proceedings. And the risks are so widely variable we just cannot quantify them, not even in ballpark range . . . well, except, if it is certain that the H&C case was adjudicated, the risk for SHORT trips is less.

I am not sure how to tell if the H&C case was formally adjudicated. For PR TD applications it is easy: if a PR TD is issued and coded RC-1, that means it was based on H&C relief. Otherwise, even if one might conclude that the visa office had to consider H&C factors in granting the PR TD, if the PR TD is not coded RC-1 that means to whatever extent H&C factors were considered, that will have little or no weight in any future RO compliance assessment. For Port-of-Entry examinations it is also fairly easy to know, assuming the PR is clear headed enough to recognize if a Inadmissibility Report has been prepared and then in the course of reviewing that by another officer it is set aside for H&C reasons.

For PR card applicants relying on H&C relief, they will know there was a formal adjudication of H&C relief if they are interviewed or questioned by an officer reviewing a 44(1) Report, resulting in the Inadmissibility Report being set aside. Absent that, odds are a new PR card is not based on a formal adjudication of H&C relief.

And, again, either way, extended absences without first getting into RO compliance will risk Inadmissibility proceedings.

All that said, absent some additional, strong H&C factors, soon leaving Canada for a year without first getting into compliance with the RO, very likely significantly elevates the risk of Inadmissibility proceedings when next returning to Canada . . .

But again, how it actually goes can vary widely . . . depending the numbers, including the length of the absence and reasons for it . . . depending on whether the returning PR is fortunate enough to get waived through the PIL (Primary Inspection Line) without a referral for RO compliance questioning . . . depending on the extent to which the PR has settled in Canada or otherwise has residence-related ties in Canada . . . depending on, well, a lot of contingent and specific to the individual factors.

Safe approach is to NOT travel abroad UNTIL AFTER clearly establishing in-fact residence in Canada, and only go abroad for short stays; and the safest approach is to STAY long enough to get into RO compliance.
Hello Dpenabill, thanks for your detailed information. Do you have a chance to commend my recent queries and some members' opinions.

Key factors: My son left Canada in July 2020 and I left in Sep 2020. I applied citizenship before leaving. I waited until notice for ceremony and traveled back to Canada in June 2022 and returned to China in AUGUST 2022 after I got citizenship. My son is attending university in China since he left Canada and usually stays in university dormitory during program time and joins me during vacations (about 3-4 months each year).

Some members think my son is actully not living with me and he left Canada before I got citizenship, thus his time outside Canada since I became citizen should not be counted inyo his RO.

I guessI time since August 2022 could be counted into my son's RO. And I assume he might have fewer chances to be reported if he returns to Canada through USA border before his 22 birthday.

It is much appreciated if you could give some suggestions. Thank you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Key factors: My son left Canada in July 2020 and I left in Sep 2020. I applied citizenship before leaving. I waited until notice for ceremony and traveled back to Canada in June 2022 and returned to China in AUGUST 2022 after I got citizenship. My son is attending university in China since he left Canada and usually stays in university dormitory during program time and joins me during vacations (about 3-4 months each year).
Why your son not consider to study in Canadian universities?

chaimaomao

Nov 14, 2022
How much time do you have before he turns 22? It may be the safest to try to enter before it and if anything bad happens, you still have the option to sponsor him (before he turns 22 and at least after AOR in case the application is returned after he turned 22).

It's really up to you. And to sponsor him, you need to show that you will return to Canada as a citizen.
H
Why your son not consider to study in Canadian universities?
Major reason is COVID19. My son was enrolled in UT In 2020. But all university students in Canada have to take classes online since 2020. We don't believe in quality of online courses. And my son took classes in China though he is thinking to attend UT once face-to-face instruction is resumed. Actually, it takes nearly 2 years. My son prefers to complete his program in China to save time and money.

chaimaomao

Nov 14, 2022

With discussions on this case, I am much convinced. Thank you.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello Dpenabill, thanks for your detailed information. Do you have a chance to commend my recent queries and some members' opinions.

Some members think my son is actully not living with me and he left Canada before I got citizenship, thus his time outside Canada since I became citizen should not be counted inyo his RO.

I guessI time since August 2022 could be counted into my son's RO. And I assume he might have fewer chances to be reported if he returns to Canada through USA border before his 22 birthday.

It is much appreciated if you could give some suggestions. Thank you.
I suspect you will not like what I can offer . . .

Short Response: The safe approach, the ONLY actually safe approach, is to NOT breach the PR Residency Obligation. That means (1) getting to Canada before the fifth year anniversary of the day of landing without spending more than 1095 days outside Canada, and (2) anytime after the fifth year anniversary of landing, being sure to have been IN Canada at least 730 days within the previous five years.

I have already posted that here, in this thread, in a slightly different way, in response to your queries.

Potential exceptions . . . alternatives . . .

There may be exceptions, such as the credit toward RO available to a child accompanying a citizen parent abroad. Is your son a "child" still? Or has he been living separate enough from you to be considered emancipated? From the perspective of a total stranger bureaucrat. And as others have questioned, was he "accompanying" you abroad? Merely being in the same place for a period of time is neither "accompanying" (what the statute specifies as qualifying for the credit) nor "ordinarily residing with" (what the regulations and some enforcement guidelines say).

There may be a safety net, such as a child eligible to be sponsored for PR. Here too, is your son a "child" still? Or has he been living separate enough from you to be considered emancipated? Again, from the perspective of a total stranger bureaucrat. The prospective timing also appears likely to loom large. And there is more to sponsorship eligibility than being a citizen.

Going against my general rule, to NOT offer advice, if he was 17 and clearly just boarding at school, and you were living in Canada, whatever the risk CBSA or IRCC officials might see things differently, total stranger bureaucrats they are, if he was soon to complete an important educational program, I'd lean toward taking the risk.

But he is 20, nearly 21. You've been living apart for considerable periods of time. And now you are not even in Canada (making sponsorship more difficult, if things got to that). There are various contingencies at play. And we know, we know with certainty, that if keeping PR status is the priority the one safe, for sure approach to do that is for him to come to Canada to stay in time to avoid breaching the PR RO.

Any other approach is taking risks. And what is at risk is status to live in Canada.

If you are looking for reasons to take the risk of losing PR status, to play the odds, that's what bookies do. Not my forte. Not close. And spoiler alert, no bookies are likely to lay odds for this kind of gambling, too many loose ends and wild cards.

Some Contextual Observations:

I make a concerted effort to offer information and NOT offer advice. At the risk of being exceedingly repetitive, the information side of this is straight-forward: unless your son comes to Canada BEFORE failing to comply with the PR Residency Obligation, he will risk losing PR status.

I especially try to steer wide of giving risk-assessment advice. There are simply way, way too many elements and contingencies to suggest parameters of acceptable risk for individual cases. For that sort of advice, generally I'd suggest paying to have a lawyer review the details and offer an opinion . . . EXCEPT, my sense is the lawyer's advice will be to COMPLY with the PR RO. So, in regards to this, you can probably save the money, skip the lawyer, and assume the lawyer's advice will be that: comply with the PR RO (if keeping PR status is a priority).

I am NOT a Canadian lawyer. Have not even talked to a Canadian lawyer in a professional capacity in over a decade. I rarely see or talk to the one family-friend who is a lawyer, and it has probably been around a decade since we had a very general conversation about applications to the Federal Court for a Writ of Mandamus. He was just a clerk then, not yet fully licensed to practice law.

Notwithstanding my lack of familiarity with Canadian lawyers, I have a rather strong sense that my thinking is not far off from most lawyers about this: identify the applicable rules, identify how the rules apply to the individual, and explain what the individual needs to do to comply with the rules.

That is different from the scenario in which a PR has already breached the RO, or due to other more compelling priorities must breach the RO. That situation is not about deciding whether to take the risk. That is about what can be done to minimize further risk and try to save status given the situation. Generally, nearly always, first order of business is to get to Canada to stay as soon as possible. This sort of scenario typically brings up questions about how to best prepare for what might happen, for example, upon next arrival at a Port-of-Entry.

These two different decision-making contexts should be kept separate, approached differently. Deciding whether it is worth taking risks is very different from deciding how to navigate risks after-the-fact.

NONE of which is to suggest that your son's odds of H&C relief are too low, if he remains abroad to complete his education, to take the chance. Nor is it to suggest what the odds are. I do not know. What I do know is that to breach the RO is to risk losing PR status. For many PRs that would be a risk not worth taking even if the odds are good.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
H

Major reason is COVID19. My son was enrolled in UT In 2020. But all university students in Canada have to take classes online since 2020. We don't believe in quality of online courses. And my son took classes in China though he is thinking to attend UT once face-to-face instruction is resumed. Actually, it takes nearly 2 years. My son prefers to complete his program in China to save time and money.
Face to face instruction has resumed in UT (at least since last fall).

Reactions: YVR123

chaimaomao

Nov 14, 2022
Face to face instruction has resumed in UT (at least since last fall).
Yes, you are right. Sad thing is his credit can not be transfered and he is in a medical school in China. It is better choice for him to get a medical degree, which might enable him to practise as medical doctor in Canada if he is successfully enrolled in a residency program. We know it is very tough for international medical graduates. But it seems worth betting.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Yes, you are right. Sad thing is his credit can not be transfered and he is in a medical school in China. It is better choice for him to get a medical degree, which might enable him to practise as medical doctor in Canada if he is successfully enrolled in a residency program. We know it is very tough for international medical graduates. But it seems worth betting.
You’ve already pointed out that his credits from China doesn’t count here. How do you expect his medical degree will count here? Foreign trained nurses can’t get a job here without going through rigorous testing.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It's not worth betting unless he plans to go back to practice in China. Most international medical grads/doctors needs to go through the whole process again. He should try to come back and get his education in Canada/US it before it's too late.

Again, unless he plans to live in China after he got his Canadian PR/citizen. It's not time or money saving when he could be losting of his PR by not meeting his RO. BTW... was he admitted in medical school in UT? Did he already has an undergrad degree? He is very young to complete or close to complete a degree and got admitted in 2020 and he is still under 22 now.

This is the MD requirement for UT.
Academic Requirements ; Completion of at least three years of undergraduate study (15 full course equivalents) towards a Canadian university bachelor's degree.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You’ve already pointed out that his credits from China doesn’t count here. How do you expect his medical degree will count here? Foreign trained nurses can’t get a job here without going through rigorous testing.
The chances of him getting accepted into a residency program are pretty low. He would also either have to take a long break from medical school to try and return to Canada before his PR card expires. Realistically it is even hard to get a residency if you are already a practicing physician or have attended and English speaking medical school often with quite similar curriculum as in Canada. Going abroad to medical school may have been cheaper but it makes return to Canada to practice very unlikely and severely limits the type of physician you can be. Choosing to attend medical school abroad is also seen as a personal choice. There is certainly a need for physicians in China or in other countries so your son has options.

There have been court cases where people have tried to claim days towards RO when a citizen joins someone abroad years later who is a PR or the PR meets a citizen while abroad. When people attempted to count the days towards RO it is refused.

chaimaomao

Nov 14, 2022

Thanks for your suggestion! We are considering return to Canada in July 2024. If my son is NOT reported at the POE, he will stay in Canada for two years before applying for PR renewal, and everything will be fine. If in other case, he is reported, we might have the following options:

A: Appeal within 60 days: we might have to fight for the appeal for a long time and still get removal.
B: Do NOT appeal: PR status is lost within 60 days. He goes back to China and I sponsor his PR application immediately. He turns 22 in December. I guess we have enough time to get AOR.

Do you think Option B will work for us? Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your suggestion! We are considering return to Canada in July 2024. If my son is NOT reported at the POE, he will stay in Canada for two years before applying for PR renewal, and everything will be fine. If in other case, he is reported, we might have the following options:

A: Appeal within 60 days: we might have to fight for the appeal for a long time and still get removal.
B: Do NOT appeal: PR status is lost within 60 days. He goes back to China and I sponsor his PR application immediately. He turns 22 in December. I guess we have enough time to get AOR.

Both options carry some risk.

A: Appeals take a while. Let's say the appeal is not decided in his favour and he loses PR, at that point he will be too old for you to sponsor him and he would need to qualify for PR on his own through an economic immigration stream.
B: Success assumes that everything goes off exactly as planned, including returning to Canada by July 2024. Let's say there's an error in your sponsorship application and it's returned to you (we see that happen here all of the time no matter how closely people check things). By the time you submit, IRCC reviews, and then IRCC sends back, he will most likely be 22 and too old to sponsor.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

For option B do you also intend to move to Canada before applying to sponsor him, during the sponsorship process, etc.? You will also need to show concrete proof that you will be relocating back to Canada to sponsor him. The other big issue is the fact that he is in medical school. Will he have finished med school before attempting to enter Canada and remain for 2 years? Has he had his medical education evaluated in Canada to ensure that is will a 4 year medical degree? Has he looked into the difficulty securing a residency. Does he know what typeof physician he wants to be?: