+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is my sin number valid

DMT

Jun 4, 2010
Hi everyone..
My non extendable work permit is now expired..(June 5)
My girlfriend and i have applied for new work permits on May 4,The cic website says they have not started to process our applications yet..Our SIN numbers have also expired as off June 5..
My question is..Can we both continue to work on Implied status until we hear from our application?
If we can how can we prove to our employers that we have Implied status?
Thanks for any help

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
well my story....my work visa expired November 2009....I had already filed a PR application Inland Family Class with an OWP application before the expiry date.

I was on implied status until I received first stage approval which was 21st April 2010.

Firstly, I was lucky, my employers never questioned my implied status...and yes I continued to use my temporary SIN number without any question. Technically, the SIN number was only valid for 8 weeks after the work permit expired but I have never had any problem at all.

The only problem I had, was with medical coverage, I am in BC and MSP allowed me 90 days after the work visa expired but then would not cover me until I got my full PR which was May 20th 2010, so was a bit of a worry about medical stuff during that period.