+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is my education gap from 1996 - 2014 a problem?

GoldenLine

Sep 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
I have been endlessly researching and have written to few universities asking the same question; however the answers I received is not precise. I am now more confused than before. I am hoping to receive some answers to my questions below.
Questions:
B.com in 1996- I wish to purse Business Management in Canada. Is my education gap from 1996 - 2014 a problem?
What can I do to fulfil the education eligibility requirement to pursue a 2 year bachelor diploma in Canada?
Overseas education agents in India say that my education gap since my last education from 1996 till now is a huge problem for positive visa and also Canadian Universities will not accept me. Is this true?
I finished my 3-year bachelor's degree in Commerce from India in 1996 but I have been working since grade 12. After my degree, I went on to work full time mostly in Business administration, consultancy area for past 18 years.
I also have a Diploma in Personal Secretarial course (1 year) in 1998 and I have done certification course in Graphic design in 2013. Besides this, I have given my IELTS test and i am expecting my results this friday. I expect excellent scores as my english is pretty good.

Now I would like to do a 2-year Business Management program from Canada to upgrade my skills. Will the gap in years of my education be a barrier? How do I overcome this?

How do I go about it? Any suggestions will be hugely appreciate.
Thank you very much

MoonRocker

Feb 3, 2014
Toroto
Category........
Visa Office......
1st Buffalo then > New York.
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2011
AOR Received.
never received. CIC claims to have sent it in 2011
Med's Request
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
16-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2014
LANDED..........
15-02-2014
are you already in Canada? Then you can just get in any of the colleges and get a diploma degree. University Bachelors may be tougher, unless you take other pre-requisite courses.

If you are in India, I suggest you start another Bachelors degree in any university, from where you can transfer credits to Canada. So get in touch with both Indian and Canadian universities to see which will allow you to transfer credits. Then you can come To Canada to finish your degree and be out with a Canadian degree, which will help you get a proper job.

GoldenLine

Sep 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
Post bacc in commerce/finance/international business (depending on your filed of work)
Thanks Regina. Would this mean that the ap in my education is not a big deal if I looked for Post Bacc courses? Would you have any idea if Business Management/ administration related courses are available in Windsor area in the Post Bacc category? Can you suggest some colleges to look for?
Thanks again for your help.

GoldenLine

Sep 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MoonRocker said:
are you already in Canada? Then you can just get in any of the colleges and get a diploma degree. University Bachelors may be tougher, unless you take other pre-requisite courses.

If you are in India, I suggest you start another Bachelors degree in any university, from where you can transfer credits to Canada. So get in touch with both Indian and Canadian universities to see which will allow you to transfer credits. Then you can come To Canada to finish your degree and be out with a Canadian degree, which will help you get a proper job.
Hi MoonRocker,
I'm in India currently. I will look around for what you are suggesting. However does this route help in eventual PR--which is what I am aiming for?
Would Post Bcc related courses pave a way to Canadian PR upon completion?

If I were a 2012 degree holder in India then will I have to go the same route you're suggesting? Would my age (37 years) be any problem in visa approvals?

Thanks for your helpful suggestions, I will research on that while I look forward to your response for my questions above.

MoonRocker

Feb 3, 2014
Toroto
Category........
Visa Office......
1st Buffalo then > New York.
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2011
AOR Received.
never received. CIC claims to have sent it in 2011
Med's Request
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
16-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2014
LANDED..........
15-02-2014
Yes, you can apply for PR once you complete your degree in Canada+ you have one year of eligible work experience.

Now whether the same would apply if you were a recent grade? I would say yes, since many, if not all universities will not recognize a foreign graduation degree.

About your age. No its not an issue as long as you can show that you really are coming to Canada to study.

ghatot201

Feb 8, 2013
Windsor, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
PER 08-03-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-12-2014
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
GoldenLine said:
Thanks Regina. Would this mean that the ap in my education is not a big deal if I looked for Post Bacc courses? Would you have any idea if Business Management/ administration related courses are available in Windsor area in the Post Bacc category? Can you suggest some colleges to look for?
Thanks again for your help.
I live in Windsor, there is a univ of Windsor and St. Clair college. The college is cheaper to study though. There are also some lesser known small colleges like trios and everest.

GoldenLine

Sep 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ghatot201 said:
I live in Windsor, there is a univ of Windsor and St. Clair college. The college is cheaper to study though. There are also some lesser known small colleges like trios and everest.
Hi Ghatot201,
Thanks for writing and info. Do you think you can give me the list of univ / colleges that offer Post Bacc programs in Windsor or around Windsor area. I prefer Windsor area than the main Toronto.

Thanks for your help.

GoldenLine

Sep 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MoonRocker said:
Yes, you can apply for PR once you complete your degree in Canada+ you have one year of eligible work experience.

Now whether the same would apply if you were a recent grade? I would say yes, since many, if not all universities will not recognize a foreign graduation degree.

About your age. No its not an issue as long as you can show that you really are coming to Canada to study.
MoonRocker,

Not sure I fully understand the first sentence--do you mean that I can possibly get 1 year of work permit after I complete my degree in Canada or did you meant in a way of co-op that will allow one year of work experience whilst I'm pursuing my degree? Sorry for asking again--just trying to understand.

Btw, coming to this forum has been helpful so far. I have some questions answered that has in a way provided an ammunition for me to further my research. Thanks to you all.

Now, when you say a recent graduate from India may not be recognized with their foreign degree (except for few univ tho), then did you mean in terms of seeking admission for Post Bacc programs or is it in general?

Another question I figured may also add importance is--- do the visa officers add more calories to particular intakes? As in, favor jan intakes more as against August? It's so hard to get into these visa officers head to know precisely what they are thinking!! :eek:

Thanks again MoonRocker. I await your response.