+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to secure a study visa after a 4-5 year work sabbatical?

ramjo

Feb 17, 2020
I am a Bachelor degree (Business Administration) holder and have been out of the corporate world (due to family movement), with some freelancing on the side. I am thinking of trying my luck with an education in Canada prior to attempting to rejoin the corporate world. Will my situation complicate the possibility of being granted a study visa? I'm thinking my best chance is to get a Masters, but, given that I'm close to 50 years old, is it still plausible to try for an undergraduate degree/diploma?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a Bachelor degree (Business Administration) holder and have been out of the corporate world (due to family movement), with some freelancing on the side. I am thinking of trying my luck with an education in Canada prior to attempting to rejoin the corporate world. Will my situation complicate the possibility of being granted a study visa? I'm thinking my best chance is to get a Masters, but, given that I'm close to 50 years old, is it still plausible to try for an undergraduate degree/diploma?
You can certainly try. Going back to school must show that it will lead to career advancement. Assume you may have a family. They aren’t guaranteed visas/permits. Given your age it will be hard to secure PR. Also returning to school at 50 and going abroad to study doesn’t usually make sense because of the huge cost. At this time people would be more focused on saving for retirement.

ramjo

Feb 17, 2020
Thanks! I am also looking at post-graduate options, possibly an MBA or other courses to supplement my current Business bachelor's degree.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks! I am also looking at post-graduate options, possibly an MBA or other courses to supplement my current Business bachelor's degree.
Is your goal to immigrate? If so you really need to look at whether you will qualify for PR. Points necessary is 470+ these days. Also you wouldn’t have time to contribute to retirement and finding employment at your age in a Canada may be difficult unless you have connections. Do you have children? If they are college or university age they would have to pay international fees and get a study permit. You could only include them in a PR application if they are under 22 and unmarried.

ramjo

Feb 17, 2020
I have a college age child by next year, but her studies will be covered by the company of my spouse. As for migration, I would like to keep my options open, so getting a study visa is the priority for now. My spouse (who's an expat) will not be joining us in Canada unless we decide to pursue PRs later. However, given the challenges you describe in securing a PR, if ever I decide to, can I find work there without a PR, i.e. does Canada give working visas?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a college age child by next year, but her studies will be covered by the company of my spouse. As for migration, I would like to keep my options open, so getting a study visa is the priority for now. My spouse (who's an expat) will not be joining us in Canada unless we decide to pursue PRs later. However, given the challenges you describe in securing a PR, if ever I decide to, can I find work there without a PR, i.e. does Canada give working visas?
If you are studying or working in Canada your child may have a difficult time getting a study permit as well. Sounds like your wife is not working in her home country either which will create problems trying to convince the VO that you will return to your home country after your studies. Are you currently living in your home country? If you study at a school that qualifies for PGWP and you study full-time you could receive a work permi for 1-3 years. After that it gets more complicated to get a work permit.

ramjo

Feb 17, 2020
Would it make a difference if we (me and my child) apply for study visas at the same time? Or does it complicate it further?

Yes, we are all currently not based in our home country at the moment. I have another child in college in the US right now, but immigration policies there right now leave no room for options after studies, that's why we're considering Canada to keep our options open.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would it make a difference if we (me and my child) apply for study visas at the same time? Or does it complicate it further?

Yes, we are all currently not based in our home country at the moment. I have another child in college in the US right now, but immigration policies there right now leave no room for options after studies, that's why we're considering Canada to keep our options open.
Very hard to comment. You have a lot of issues that will be considered red flags. Fundamentally you have to prove that you will be returning home after your studies. I would let your child apply. Their chances of being able to stay in Canada longterm are much better than yours.