+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to move to Canada for a year from UK?

davesol

Jul 12, 2008
Hi all,

Myself and my girlfriend would love to move to Canada (from the UK) for a year to experience the country and culture.

Whilst there, I would like to continue working for my current UK employer (I work in software development and would be able to work remotely), so presumably would not need a work permit(?). My questions are:

1. Are we likely to be able to obtain a years visa to be able to do this?
2. If so, would my girlfriend be able to work while we were there?
3. What are the next steps that we need to take?

Any help much appreciated
Thanks
Dave

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your girlfriend wants to work, she needs a work permit. To get a work permit, she would need to get a job offer. She could try for a skilled position if she has some special skills needed in Canada, if not, she can apply as a low skilled. Or maybe if she can find something to study, she would be allowed to work on the campus without a work permit.

You should start by going to the Immigration Canada website and look for the information you need. It's at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
If your girlfriend wants to work, she needs a work permit. To get a work permit, she would need to get a job offer. She could try for a skilled position if she has some special skills needed in Canada, if not, she can apply as a low skilled. Or maybe if she can find something to study, she would be allowed to work on the campus without a work permit.

You should start by going to the Immigration Canada website and look for the information you need. It's at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
Look into Bunac, if you are under 30, 35 if a student, you can get a 1 year open work permit. They are closed for 2008, but open again in December for 2009.

PMM

carol25

Jul 9, 2008
Re: Is is easy to get an visitor visa in canada from the philippines ?

Hi hello everyone,
Im 25 years plan to get a visa visitor im just want to ask if how to get and what should i do?
co zi have a canadian boyfriend we plan that he give me a visitor visa but he dont know how?
About my status im separated then its ok that i cna visit him only first we know much each other!
pls advise me so i can start what should i do!!!!!!!!!!!! have anice day!.
its ok that i can visit him even im still process my divoreced papers?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
davesol said:
Hi all,

Myself and my girlfriend would love to move to Canada (from the UK) for a year to experience the country and culture.

Whilst there, I would like to continue working for my current UK employer (I work in software development and would be able to work remotely), so presumably would not need a work permit(?). My questions are:

1. Are we likely to be able to obtain a years visa to be able to do this?
2. If so, would my girlfriend be able to work while we were there?
3. What are the next steps that we need to take?

Any help much appreciated
Thanks
Dave
Your problem is going to be that even nationals from visa-exempt countries like the UK are not allowed to remain in Canada for longer than six months without special authorization. The BUNAC holiday visa would be an option as it usually allows for a year - and it is a visa that allows someone to work whilst experiencing the country and culture. The other option mentioned - getting a restricted work permit - is a long process involving finding an employer to sponsor you who has a job for you for which they can get HSRDC approval . . . meaning permission to hire you because there isn't a Canadian to be found who can do the job. Maybe your gf could get in on the BUNAC visa, but that doesn't solve how you will be able to stay for a year. Even coming for six months, you're going to face having to prove you can support yourself without working in Canada. There's more info about working remotely in Section 5.1 of the Foreign Worker manual.

davesol

Jul 12, 2008
Thanks for all the advice here. Am thinking the BUNAC route looks the best option at the moment so will get in touch with them and see what they say. Thanks again, Dave