Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8/8/2010
Doc's Request.
8/8/2010 Full docs submitted
IELTS Request
Submitted
Hi all.

Need your advice on this one. I have a US tourist visa and would like to visit the US for a couple of weeks. I have newly arrived and donot have the permanent resident card yet but have the COPR, temporary drivers license and SIN card. Is it possible to visit US and come back to canada without any unnecessary difficulties. We are planning on going by car to the US and returning by train via Montreal using amtrack. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you were returning by car as well, I would say no problem but since you are going on a commercial carrier, you may have problems being allowed to board if you do not have a PR card. If you are visa exempt to Canada, it would not be a problem but if you normally need a visa, they could refuse you to board. Getting into Canada is not the problem, getting on the commercial carrier is.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Leon said:
If you were returning by car as well, I would say no problem but since you are going on a commercial carrier, you may have problems being allowed to board if you do not have a PR card. If you are visa exempt to Canada, it would not be a problem but if you normally need a visa, they could refuse you to board. Getting into Canada is not the problem, getting on the commercial carrier is.
100% agree with Leon's advice. Amtrack may not let you board.

nitroxn

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8/8/2010
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Submitted
Thanks for the responses guys. Will wait a few days for the PR card to arrive. Thanks again.

nitroxn

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8/8/2010
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Submitted
Hi,
Now that I got my PR card, I will be going to US in the near future. So, there is another question. Do I have to do any documentation when re-entering Canada from US via train? And is it considered a continuous stay while going to US and returning back?

Thanks in advance.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nitroxn said:
Hi,
Now that I got my PR card, I will be going to US in the near future. So, there is another question. Do I have to do any documentation when re-entering Canada from US via train? And is it considered a continuous stay while going to US and returning back?

Thanks in advance.
You need your Permanent resident card and passport - The train is a commercial carrier.