+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to get a 2nd extension to Temporary Work Permit?

mig_akira

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Hello everyone.

I am on my 2nd LMIA-based work permit, working for the same company since December 2017, as a software developer. I would like to get a 3rd work permit (meaning it would be the 2nd work permit extension) to continue working in Canada. Is it possible to get this extension, or it gets more difficult since I've already had 2 work permits?

Another question: my current work permit expires in December 2022. If I request an extension now, it will be valid after December 2022 (from Dec 2022-Dec 2024), or it counts from the period when I have requested it?

I want to also apply for a PR, but my chances of getting one are negligible, since I don't have a post-secondary diploma (I dropped out in my 3rd year at University), so I wanna apply for the PR just for the heck of it, but also apply for a work permit extension, since it's the only one I have a real chance of obtaining.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone.

I am on my 2nd LMIA-based work permit, working for the same company since December 2017, as a software developer. I would like to get a 3rd work permit (meaning it would be the 2nd work permit extension) to continue working in Canada. Is it possible to get this extension, or it gets more difficult since I've already had 2 work permits?

Another question: my current work permit expires in December 2022. If I request an extension now, it will be valid after December 2022 (from Dec 2022-Dec 2024), or it counts from the period when I have requested it?

I want to also apply for a PR, but my chances of getting one are negligible, since I don't have a post-secondary diploma (I dropped out in my 3rd year at University), so I wanna apply for the PR just for the heck of it, but also apply for a work permit extension, since it's the only one I have a real chance of obtaining.
I don't believe there's a limit to the number of extensions you can request if you qualify.

The validity will be from the time the extension is approved. It doesn't make sense to apply for one now given your current work permit is still valid for almost a year.

Reactions: mig_akira

mig_akira

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
I don't believe there's a limit to the number of extensions you can request if you qualify.

The validity will be from the time the extension is approved. It doesn't make sense to apply for one now given your current work permit is still valid for almost a year.
Thank you for your reply! In this case, I have another question, can I try applying for a PR, and if it gets denied, would this denial interfere with future work permit extension application?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply! In this case, I have another question, can I try applying for a PR, and if it gets denied, would this denial interfere with future work permit extension application?

Thanks!
I'm not sure what you mean by "trying to apply for PR". You would need to qualify and be selected to submit an application. If you qualify and are selected, then by all means apply for PR and you should be successful provided your application is accurate / complete.

The main way I can think of that a refused PR application could impact your work permit is if there is any misrepresentation in the PR application that leads to a 5 year ban from Canada.