+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to complete a Master's degree in Computer Science in Canada remote / online only?

Nov 22, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a university in Canada where it's possible to complete a Master's degree in Computer Science remotely / online. Has anyone ever heard of this being possible in Canada?

I live in a rural part of northern Ontario, and while it's not a problem for me to visit any university on a regular basis for any admission/enrollment/etc purpose - I would seriously prefer to not have to move in order to complete my graduate studies.

I have graduated from (Ryerson) Toronto Metropolitan University several years ago, and while I completed my bachelor's degree in person (I had to rent a $2,000/mth apartment within 30 minutes of campus for 4.5 years) - I am super hopeful that I can do my grad studies without having to attend classes in person every day.

I've researched universities like Athabasca, Laurentian, Simon Fraser, and the like - but found no online / remote Master's degree options even remotely (pun intended) close.

Thank you in advance for reading my question!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a university in Canada where it's possible to complete a Master's degree in Computer Science remotely / online. Has anyone ever heard of this being possible in Canada?

I live in a rural part of northern Ontario, and while it's not a problem for me to visit any university on a regular basis for any admission/enrollment/etc purpose - I would seriously prefer to not have to move in order to complete my graduate studies.

I have graduated from (Ryerson) Toronto Metropolitan University several years ago, and while I completed my bachelor's degree in person (I had to rent a $2,000/mth apartment within 30 minutes of campus for 4.5 years) - I am super hopeful that I can do my grad studies without having to attend classes in person every day.

I've researched universities like Athabasca, Laurentian, Simon Fraser, and the like - but found no online / remote Master's degree options even remotely (pun intended) close.

Look at US online schools because in Canada, I don’t know of a 100% online program at a public DLI. Maybe private DLIs but they will not help you get a job as few employers have heard of them.

Reactions: sciencecorollary

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

Check out the Information Systems MA at Athabasca. Pretty sure that is 100% online. They also have an MBA although it doesn't sound like that's what you're interested in.

Reactions: sciencecorollary
Nov 22, 2022
Check out the Information Systems MA at Athabasca. Pretty sure that is 100% online. They also have an MBA although it doesn't sound like that's what you're interested in.
Thank you so much. Yes, I've seen the Information Systems degree - and it actually looks like fun to complete. Unfortunately, the MA (Master's of Arts) won't cut it for employers when it comes to any Software Engineering positions. It's unfortunate because this degree actually looks fun. I'm stuck looking for Computer Science elsewhere then :)

Reactions: scylla
Nov 22, 2022
Look at US online schools because in Canada, I don’t know of a 100% online program at a public DLI. Maybe private DLIs but they will not help you get a job as few employers have heard of them.
You're totally right. All I am looking to do is get an MSc in Computer Science so I can work in Software Engineering. I'm a dual citizen, so the U.S. was my first thought. But honestly I don't like the U.S. at all (which is why I live here in Ontario), and so I wanted to keep my studies / employment in Canada.

It does look like I will likely have to do this at a U.S. school though. When it comes to having to move and rent somewhere in Canada for 2+ years just to get my Master's degree, it means upwards of $60,000 ~ $70,000 spent on rent alone. Which is why I'd rather just pay this (and more) towards my actual degree. The U.S. does seem like the only option for this right now though.

P.S. I have just found out that Wilfried Laurier University offers a 100% remote MSc in Computer Science. The catch is - it is a fake program, in the sense that it's not eligible for you to even apply for OSAP. Which seems super scammy, for a public university anyway.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You're totally right. All I am looking to do is get an MSc in Computer Science so I can work in Software Engineering. I'm a dual citizen, so the U.S. was my first thought. But honestly I don't like the U.S. at all (which is why I live here in Ontario), and so I wanted to keep my studies / employment in Canada.

It does look like I will likely have to do this at a U.S. school though. When it comes to having to move and rent somewhere in Canada for 2+ years just to get my Master's degree, it means upwards of $60,000 ~ $70,000 spent on rent alone. Which is why I'd rather just pay this (and more) towards my actual degree. The U.S. does seem like the only option for this right now though.

P.S. I have just found out that Wilfried Laurier University offers a 100% remote MSc in Computer Science. The catch is - it is a fake program, in the sense that it's not eligible for you to even apply for OSAP. Which seems super scammy, for a public university anyway.
Look at UK schools. I have friends do their masters at reputable UK universities (not Comp Sci) and be 100% online.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Don’t think any 100% online school qualifies for OSAP. OSAP is really geared towards Ontario universities so if you could use it for remote degrees you could be attending school anywhere. Still very few 100% online courses. Although covid has made schools and employers create and rely on remote options there is still a lot of value when it comes to in person learning from tutorials to collaborative work and problem solving in labs, on projects, etc. Those are much harder in person. If you do a masters in computer science there are likely summer jobs that will
Pay very well or there may be masters programs with co-op options. Masters students may also be able to get hired as a TA. You could also try applying to be an RA in student housing and then you would have free housing during the school year.

Dec 26, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I don't know if your question is still relevant, but I just wanted to confirm opinions about online education in UK universities. They have a convenient and understandable system. There's no drop in quality or accreditation and online MAs are just as respected as their on-campus counterparts.