+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it ok to take a leave from work before applying for PGWP (after graduating) or do I need to quit?

seominp

Dec 23, 2018
I read that right after international students get their transcript upon graduating, they need to stop working, before applying for PGWP. I currently work 15 hours/week at my job. For me:

April 21: Exam Ends
April 29: Transcript Out + Graduation Letter

For applying for PGWP, I need my official transcript which even if I order on April 29, it will take until May 6th to arrive (latest). So I can't apply for PGWP until May 6th.

1. Am I allowed to work part-time after my exams end (after April 21 but before April 29) but before graduation? That is, between the time period of my exams ending and my transcript arriving?
2. I have taken a leave (holiday) from April 29 to May 6 from work because I can only apply for PGWP on May 6th and I am not allowed to work before that. Is it okay to take a leave or do I need to quit my job and restart once I apply for PGWP?
3. I have told my employer that I have taken this leave for 'personal/immigration reasons'. Do I need to specify this situation or does it not matter?

Thank you

seominp

Dec 23, 2018
You dont need official transcripts to apply for PGWP.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html

I applied with unofficial transcript in January and got approval.
My transcript arrives only 3-5 days after so I'd like to wait for it to avoid any possibility of rejection. My question is, after getting my graduation letter and before applying for PGWP, is it okay for me to take a leave from my job as I'm not allowed to work or do I need to quit?

Bainstalwinder

Apr 23, 2017
My transcript arrives only 3-5 days after so I'd like to wait for it to avoid any possibility of rejection. My question is, after getting my graduation letter and before applying for PGWP, is it okay for me to take a leave from my job as I'm not allowed to work or do I need to quit?
What u did at thar time did u quit ???