+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it just me?

keith d

Jul 25, 2008
I've been to Canada many times in the past and found it always cheap in comparison to the UK, with wages more in keeping with costs.
I decided a year ago to apply for PR which came through, and now I am here. Since arriving I notice that vehicles are about 1/2 the price of UK, Gas is 1/2 price ( but then the engines in the same vehicles we have in Europe are twice the size here and so use twice the fuel, hence we are back to the begining again!) and house prices are quite good ( dependant on where you go) but grocery prices are the same if not higher, and property taxes are telephone numbers!! So my question is this - Is it just me, or are things here a LOT dearer than they used to be? I have only been here a few weeks, but am seriously considering going back to the UK, its a lot cheaper there in my opinion, or am I just suffering culture shock? Help please!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, it's funny with the cars. You can't even get the small cars here that you can buy in Europe. Try doing much of your grocery shopping in Walmart and Superstore. It helps. Get a Save-On-Foods and Safeway club cards and stock up on stuff when it's on sale. Helps too. Give it a few months for the culture shock to wear off and then decide. Nothing wrong with going back if you still want to.

I have a lot of German coworkers, some of them set on staying in Canada for life, some just planning on 2-3 years. Listening to the ones who are staying, Germany is a pretty awful place to live, for the ones that are going back, there's nothing wrong with it. Every country has pros and cons.

Patrice

Jul 24, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/02/2010
Med's Done....
20/12/09
I lived in the London England for three years and found it very expensive there. Once you get to know the place you will know where to get the deals. Food I think is a lot cheaper but you have to go to the right places like No Frills or Walmarts. I would give it a little moer time. Good luck!

keith d

Jul 25, 2008
Hi guys!
Thanks for the replies! Think I'm just feeling sorry for myself, and without reason! I know London is crazy for costs, and I only know that through a cousin who lives there. I'm sorry if i came accross as being negative about Canada, as it really is a wonderful country, and I know that when I get my feet under me, everything will fall into place. I have also heard similar stories about Germany being very expensive, and although I've been there on several occasions, it's not the same as living there, so I would believe the stories. Just wanted to say that your replies have made me feel a heck of a lot more positive, and deep down I know it'll all come good! Cheers!