+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it difficult to get IT jobs?

slyio76

Jan 27, 2007
Hi,

We are now still waiting for our PR application result and have heard that it is difficult to find a job in Canada. So, we hope to prepare ourselves, if possible, before we go.

We are from Singapore and both of us are degree holders. I am a Software Engineer and my husband is a IT Project Manager. Is it difficult to get a similar job in Canada?

I heard that if you did not study or work in Canada before, they won´t recognize your degree or work experience. Is this true?

Thanks a lot!

arppt01

Jan 22, 2007
I don't think they will not recognize your degree. As this is a very important question I will also look forward to the answers from someone who have already been through the process.

Noy

Star Member
Aug 15, 2006
On the educational degree, we sent an evaluation coming from a private company (educational evaluator) that states that our degress are of the same level from our native country to the US. This is what we sent together with our application form to CIC.

tinag

Sep 12, 2006
It is may be difficult but not impossible. I know lot of people in Canada who are very happy there. Per myself, I have got 2 jobs (HomeDepot and IBM) in less than 3 weeks. I'm in IT and have 9 years of experience (7 US, 2 Singapore). I neither have Canadian expeirence nor Canadian Degree. However I have 7 years US experience and a US graduation degree.

Post your resume in http://workopolis.com/ and http://monster.ca.

Good Luck

dwalliz

Jan 30, 2007
I also know people from US who got IT jobs and yes they used their degrees and experiences that they earned in the USA. But I wished you luck too.

mikee

Feb 1, 2007
Hello,

I have also applied for immigration with having a honours degree in IT and 10 years experience (non US or Canada). I don't feel any difficulty processing my application because of this. My brother also got canadian immigration with almost same condition. But if you have less than 16 years of education then it will not be recognised as a graduation.

feline

Jan 31, 2007
I have a few friends in Canada telling their own stories and their friends' stories as well. You're considered lucky if you can get a job immediately related to your skill or profession. Some people start out as cleaners, store clerks or warehouse workers. As the days or weeks go on, some find a better job somewhere. They just keep transfering from one work to another until they can find the "dream" job they are looking for. For others, it may take 2 to 4 years before they get settled finally. Some skills or profession, may just need to upgrade in a specific school for a few months before they are qualified to apply. A friend who happens to be a general manager in a big multi-national company in the city where he originally lived has been working as store host in Canada for about 2 years now.