+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is counselling (psychotherapy) considered a "health service field occupation"?

vxmebbee

Sep 26, 2022
Hi all!

I recently moved to BC with my partner who got a 2 yr position in education. I am currently looking for work and have an OWP that I received at the port of entry. I am a counsellor/therapist/psychotherapist (NOC 4153) who worked in group practice in the States and want to work in a group practice and start my own private practice here in BC. My question is, the restrictions on my work permit say I can't work in "childcare/school teaching/health service field occupations," but would counselling be considered a health service field occupation? Technically NOC 4153 is not in the 3 category of health services, but I am not sure.

Thanks for any help. I know to get this item removed I need to amend my OWP with the medical exam, which costs $255, so I am hoping that is not the case.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all!

I recently moved to BC with my partner who got a 2 yr position in education. I am currently looking for work and have an OWP that I received at the port of entry. I am a counsellor/therapist/psychotherapist (NOC 4153) who worked in group practice in the States and want to work in a group practice and start my own private practice here in BC. My question is, the restrictions on my work permit say I can't work in "childcare/school teaching/health service field occupations," but would counselling be considered a health service field occupation? Technically NOC 4153 is not in the 3 category of health services, but I am not sure.

Thanks for any help. I know to get this item removed I need to amend my OWP with the medical exam, which costs $255, so I am hoping that is not the case.
Yes I would assume this is considered under health services but only IRCC can really confirm. If you have done a medical during the past year you can use that.

liveforcoffee

Oct 3, 2022
Category........
VISIT
Yes, counselling is considered a "health service field occupation". While the term "counselling" can be used to refer to a wide variety of professions, it is generally used to describe a type of therapy that helps individuals deal with personal issues. Counsellors typically help their clients explore their thoughts and feelings, set goals, and make changes in their lives. Most counselling occupations require at least a master's degree, and many also require licensure or certification. Because of the training and skills required for this occupation, counselling is considered a health service field occupation.