+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is COPR still valid document to reenter Canada by land?

R

rish888

I know, I know. I really should. Personally (and not just because it would benefit me) they should just offer to make you a citizen after you live here for, oh, say 25 years concurrently. I'm more Canadian than I've ever been anything else. My kids are Canadian, my brother is 4yrs older than me and he got his citizenship just a few years back. I should just bite the bullet.

Thank you for your input, btw.
You're welcome.

Just a little nudge:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-adults.html

R

rish888

CBP. Canada Border Patrol?
Sorry, there are so many acronyms floating around this forum that I admit to being a certain level of confused.

Do you mean that I'd have to convince the US Border agents to let me in to the US? I'm going for valid business purposes, to train USAF staff on the use of our software they just bought.
CBP= Customs and Border Patrol (US immigration)

CBSA= Canada Border Services Agency (Canadian immigration)

POE= Point of entry

and the list goes on...

Technically every foreigner is "applying for admission" when they show up at the border. In practice however most of the time it's a couple of pleasantries and that's that. Most on this forum (me included) just like to be extra careful and point of the nuances.

Your reason of visit to the US is definitely valid, members just wanted to differentiate between entering Canada (which you do by right) vs the US. (where it's a privilege.)

Tempest8008

Jan 26, 2018
I appreciate your replies and for putting my mind at ease.

I'm not losing sleep over not having my PR card now...though am still applying to get it renewed.

(still makes no sense to me. For a brand new one I can appreciate a delay, but for a renewal? They've already done all the vetting and checks, now they're going to do them AGAIN? That's almost criminally inefficient.)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I appreciate your replies and for putting my mind at ease.

I'm not losing sleep over not having my PR card now...though am still applying to get it renewed.

(still makes no sense to me. For a brand new one I can appreciate a delay, but for a renewal? They've already done all the vetting and checks, now they're going to do them AGAIN? That's almost criminally inefficient.)
They are not doing all checks again, they are basically just confirming you meet the residency obligation so are verifying your past travels over the past 5 years.

The actual processing of the PR card renewal just takes a few days for a simple case like yours. The couple months waiting time is the queue you go in to wait for your app to start getting processed, since tons of other PRs are also applying to renew their cards. The 80 days processing time now on CIC site even states "Working on applications received on November 6, 2017."

In 40 years time, you really should have applied for citizenship. No telling what situation could come up in the future that could possibly jeopardize your PR status.

R

rish888

In 40 years time, you really should have applied for citizenship. No telling what situation could come up in the future that could possibly jeopardize your PR status.
Couldn't agree with this more. Citizenship means a Canadian passport, no worrying about foreign travel, no residency obligation, no PR card renewals etc. If not for anything it will make your life a little easier.