+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is an accompanying goods list compulsory for hard landing?

santosh.dh

Star Member
May 18, 2023
Hi all,

I have an immigrant visa and I was wondering that if I do a hard landing, will I have to carry a list of goods accompanying? I'm talking about the form that is found on CBSA. The thing is that I'm only going to be carrying clothes, my laptop and phone. And that is it. I have no goods that will follow later on! I'm not really sure if I need to carry these lists at all since most of the my clothes aren't expensive and I don't have receipts. I do have receipts for my phone and laptop though that were recently purchased. Really not sure if I need to carry a list of accompanying goods especially when I'm not carrying something of great value.

Sorry if it sounds like a silly question, but I have no clue about it.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I have an immigrant visa and I was wondering that if I do a hard landing, will I have to carry a list of goods accompanying? I'm talking about the form that is found on CBSA. The thing is that I'm only going to be carrying clothes, my laptop and phone. And that is it. I have no goods that will follow later on! I'm not really sure if I need to carry these lists at all since most of the my clothes aren't expensive and I don't have receipts. I do have receipts for my phone and laptop though that were recently purchased. Really not sure if I need to carry a list of accompanying goods especially when I'm not carrying something of great value.

Sorry if it sounds like a silly question, but I have no clue about it.
No, it's not compulsory to carry the form.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So I can land without the accompanying goods form? Do I need to declare my laptop and phone or is it okay?
You should be fine. If asked when leaving the customs office, declare it.

I forget how they do this - because we did have non-accompanying goods - but during the landing procedures (this is before luggage), they may ask you if you have anything to declare. Just tell the officer, laptop and phone.

I doubt they will want to bother as they'll be exempt and laptop+phone is just table stakes for all travellers nowadays.

santosh.dh

Star Member
May 18, 2023
You should be fine. If asked when leaving the customs office, declare it.

I forget how they do this - because we did have non-accompanying goods - but during the landing procedures (this is before luggage), they may ask you if you have anything to declare. Just tell the officer, laptop and phone.

I doubt they will want to bother as they'll be exempt and laptop+phone is just table stakes for all travellers nowadays.
Okay that's good to know since I won't be carrying any valuables in the first place.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Okay that's good to know since I won't be carrying any valuables in the first place.
Key thing is to keep in mind - be truthful but don't volunteer information - just the question asked.

As noted, there'll be the stage after you pick up luggage, and they might ask you questions there, or just wave you through. Usually this is based on the piece of paper you get from machine or another officer.

-you're declaring personal belongings as someone settling/arriving permanently, no goods to follow.
-they might ask about specific things and whatnot, tell the truth (when we arrived they were interested mostly in whether there was alcohol and tobacco).
-if they do ask if you have anything 'purchased recently', that's where you mention computer and phone.
-bluntly, they mostly want to catch people playing games: either drugs or other contraband or really trying to get out of duty and sales tax etc - someone trying to bring in 20 phones. Sometimes people with jewelry and expensive watches trying to play games.
-Sales tax on computer and phone or other purchases is mainly if you annoy them or get caught in another lie. Duty/tariffs on computers etc is peanuts.
So basically: don't be a jerk and they're not going to want to bother. (Note, this is IF it's something you'd have to pay duty on - I seem to recall 'recent purchases' i.e. < six months but they really are not after a guy with a phone; they want to catch people trying to run a hustle on the side)

santosh.dh

Star Member
May 18, 2023
Key thing is to keep in mind - be truthful but don't volunteer information - just the question asked.

As noted, there'll be the stage after you pick up luggage, and they might ask you questions there, or just wave you through. Usually this is based on the piece of paper you get from machine or another officer.

-you're declaring personal belongings as someone settling/arriving permanently, no goods to follow.
-they might ask about specific things and whatnot, tell the truth (when we arrived they were interested mostly in whether there was alcohol and tobacco).
-if they do ask if you have anything 'purchased recently', that's where you mention computer and phone.
-bluntly, they mostly want to catch people playing games: either drugs or other contraband or really trying to get out of duty and sales tax etc - someone trying to bring in 20 phones. Sometimes people with jewelry and expensive watches trying to play games.
-Sales tax on computer and phone or other purchases is mainly if you annoy them or get caught in another lie. Duty/tariffs on computers etc is peanuts.
So basically: don't be a jerk and they're not going to want to bother. (Note, this is IF it's something you'd have to pay duty on - I seem to recall 'recent purchases' i.e. < six months but they really are not after a guy with a phone; they want to catch people trying to run a hustle on the side)
Oh that's good to know and thanks for detailed information. I was a bit confused about the accompanying goods list and would feel super awkward just writing "clothes" in the section. I know some immigrants take tons of stuff with them. For me, I can move my entire life in just two bags lol. :D

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh that's good to know and thanks for detailed information. I was a bit confused about the accompanying goods list and would feel super awkward just writing "clothes" in the section. I know some immigrants take tons of stuff with them. For me, I can move my entire life in just two bags lol. :D
They tend to be more interested if you are bringing expensive designer's clothes from abroad. If so, keep your invoice/receipts for their inspection.

Reactions: armoured