+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is addressing the issues in GCMS notes enough to get the study permit approved?

jashatnet1

Dec 13, 2018
Hello everyone,
My study permit application got refused twice for the same reason saying that "Your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself ( and any accompanying family member (s), if applicable.
I planned to study a one-year post-graduate certificate and my first-semester tuition has already been paid. In my 1st application, I have showed bank drafts for CAD 15,000 from my sponsor which was not enough. To address this issue, in my second application I increased the bank draft value to CAD 35,000 which was enough, but still got rejected because I again missed providing the source of these funds such as a notarized letter, bank statement, employment letter, etc., from my sponsor. Now, it seems I have full information about my refusal because I got my GCMS notes. In my GCMS notes' pre-assessment section, the visa officer states that "Parent to sponsor studies. Sufficient funds provided (bank cheque). Limited evidence pertaining to the source of these funds. In the absence of satisfactory documentation showing the source of these funds, I am not satisfied that the applicant has available funds for the duration of the intended studies and other related costs in Canada. Based on the evidence submitted, recommended refusal pursuant to R 220/216. JM24892"
So, do you think I will get approved if I addressed this issue in my new application?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,
My study permit application got refused twice for the same reason saying that "Your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself ( and any accompanying family member (s), if applicable.
I planned to study a one-year post-graduate certificate and my first-semester tuition has already been paid. In my 1st application, I have showed bank drafts for CAD 15,000 from my sponsor which was not enough. To address this issue, in my second application I increased the bank draft value to CAD 35,000 which was enough, but still got rejected because I again missed providing the source of these funds such as a notarized letter, bank statement, employment letter, etc., from my sponsor. Now, it seems I have full information about my refusal because I got my GCMS notes. In my GCMS notes' pre-assessment section, the visa officer states that "Parent to sponsor studies. Sufficient funds provided (bank cheque). Limited evidence pertaining to the source of these funds. In the absence of satisfactory documentation showing the source of these funds, I am not satisfied that the applicant has available funds for the duration of the intended studies and other related costs in Canada. Based on the evidence submitted, recommended refusal pursuant to R 220/216. JM24892"
So, do you think I will get approved if I addressed this issue in my new application?
Maybe. There is always a possibility it will still be rejected and with different reasons.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So do you mean they don't have a standard of working? Does each visa officer act discretionally?
Each application is a new application. There are rules of law/regulations to follow but each officer may interpret them differently. If funds were the only reasons for refusal and not general reasons like “will not leave Canada following your stay” then you have a good chance to be approved. I don’t know how an employment letter or notarized letter is relevant to your application. Future income is not considered, nor is it guaranteed.

jashatnet1

Dec 13, 2018
Each application is a new application. There are rules of law/regulations to follow but each officer may interpret them differently. If funds were the only reasons for refusal and not general reasons like “will not leave Canada following your stay” then you have a good chance to be approved. I don’t know how an employment letter or notarized letter is relevant to your application. Future income is not considered, nor is it guaranteed.
I understand each new application is assessed by a new VO and I googled a lot about this issue and what I find out is to address the reasons mentioned in my GCMS. For my new application I prepared notarized letter, a license for my company and other important documents that I am going to upload so that the VO will clearly understand where the sources of these funds for my study.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I understand each new application is assessed by a new VO and I googled a lot about this issue and what I find out is to address the reasons mentioned in my GCMS. For my new application I prepared notarized letter, a license for my company and other important documents that I am going to upload so that the VO will clearly understand where the sources of these funds for my study.
What is the purpose of your company license to address funds?

jashatnet1

Dec 13, 2018
My company is an IT firm and I will just use it as a means of tie to my home country. To address the issues for the sources of funds, I will provide a notarized letter from my sponsor, her bank statement, employment letter, tax returns and pay stubs, bank drafts written to me from her and receipt for 1st semester tuition fee payment.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My company is an IT firm and I will just use it as a means of tie to my home country. To address the issues for the sources of funds, I will provide a notarized letter from my sponsor, her bank statement, employment letter, tax returns and pay stubs, bank drafts written to me from her and receipt for 1st semester tuition fee payment.
You should be providing proof of tuition payment for the first year not semester.

jashatnet1

Dec 13, 2018
You should be providing proof of tuition payment for the first year not semester.
In my GCMS notes' pre-assessment section, the visa officer states that "Parent to sponsor studies. Sufficient funds provided (bank cheque). Limited evidence pertaining to the source of these funds. In the absence of satisfactory documentation showing the source of these funds, I am not satisfied that the applicant has available funds for the duration of the intended studies and other related costs in Canada. Based on the evidence submitted, recommended refusal pursuant to R 220/216. JM24892" And I decided to apply by providing the notarized letter from my sponsor, her bank statement, employment letter, tax returns and pay stubs, bank drafts written to me from her and receipt for 1st semester tuition fee payment. Don't you think this will address the issue in my refusal letter?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
In my GCMS notes' pre-assessment section, the visa officer states that "Parent to sponsor studies. Sufficient funds provided (bank cheque). Limited evidence pertaining to the source of these funds. In the absence of satisfactory documentation showing the source of these funds, I am not satisfied that the applicant has available funds for the duration of the intended studies and other related costs in Canada. Based on the evidence submitted, recommended refusal pursuant to R 220/216. JM24892" And I decided to apply by providing the notarized letter from my sponsor, her bank statement, employment letter, tax returns and pay stubs, bank drafts written to me from her and receipt for 1st semester tuition fee payment. Don't you think this will address the issue in my refusal letter?
Pay first year tuition. All IRCC wants to know is whether there is cash in the bank to pay for your studies. Future income/employment/tax returns are not funds so irrelevant. So if the cash in the bank statement will cover your studies then it is possible your permit will be approved.

jashatnet1

Dec 13, 2018
Pay first year tuition. All IRCC wants to know is whether there is cash in the bank to pay for your studies. Future income/employment/tax returns are not funds so irrelevant. So if the cash in the bank statement will cover your studies then it is possible your permit will be approved.
Thank you for your information.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do the savings make sense based on this person’s income? If not I would address where the funds come from. For example inheritance, property sale, etc. and provide proof. Will the savings cover the tuition fees for your entire education and living expenses for the years you will be studying. Some only provide proof of first year tuition paid and proof of having the funds to cover living expenses for the first year. If that is the case you would need to show how your family will need to fund your education beyond the first year. For example can your family can save enough from their yearly salary to cover your costs? That is typically not the case whether in Canada or abroad. Many plan on working to cover their costs beyond the first year or even for living expenses for the first year but that will not be possible especially while studying as well. Depending on where you’re studying cost of living may be extremely high and in some smaller communities there are limited amounts of jobs available for students but a very large number of Canadian and international students so proof of how you will continue your schooling given these situation is important

jashatnet1

Dec 13, 2018
Do the savings make sense based on this person’s income? If not I would address where the funds come from. For example inheritance, property sale, etc. and provide proof. Will the savings cover the tuition fees for your entire education and living expenses for the years you will be studying. Some only provide proof of first year tuition paid and proof of having the funds to cover living expenses for the first year. If that is the case you would need to show how your family will need to fund your education beyond the first year. For example can your family can save enough from their yearly salary to cover your costs? That is typically not the case whether in Canada or abroad. Many plan on working to cover their costs beyond the first year or even for living expenses for the first year but that will not be possible especially while studying as well. Depending on where you’re studying cost of living may be extremely high and in some smaller communities there are limited amounts of jobs available for students but a very large number of Canadian and international students so proof of how you will continue your schooling given these situation is important
I will study for one year and my sponsor already wrote me a bank drafts (check) for around CAD 32,000 which I can immediately deposit it to my Canadian bank when the study permit is approved and my 1st semester tuition fee is already paid. The reason why I am providing her bank statements, notarize proof of fund letter, employment letter, pay stubs and tax returns is that to provide more evidence for the source of these bank drafts according to my GCMS notes. And the savings make sense because of the transaction history for the past six months in the bank statement and the amount in the net balance is more than the amount in the bank draft for last three months of the transaction