+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC Survey - Immigration to Canada: how has COVID-19 impacted you?

Alwayssuccessful!

Star Member
Jul 13, 2019
Has anybody else received with pending application received a request to complete a survey under the above subject heading? Essentially, IRCC is asking international students whose applications are pending to complete a survey about their travel plans, whether there is general restriction of movement in their country, whether they could do biometric and medicals without issues, whether you are able to travel locally as well as internationally as per global travel restrictions in most countries.

I have seen an international student whose application is pending (although he has received biometric validity letter and the accompanying push notification about current travel restrictions in Canada) and he was able to complete the survey and submit. I have also seen an international student who received similar email with a secret PIN with which he logged in to complete the survey, but was told upon login that "based on the answers you have provided in section 1, you are not eligible to complete this questionnaire.

I would like to hear people's experiences in both scenarios i.e. whether you successfully completed the 20 minute questionnaire or you could not go beyond question 1, because you are ineligible to complete it. My sense is that IRCC wants to sample people's travel opinions to have a fair idea of the number that may be rushing into the country once the border is opened. But why some would be able to complete the survey and others would not is still a mystery to me.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you told me what the questions were in Section 1 I could give you a better answer. It's very common for initial questions to a survey being used to determine if the person should complete it. For example if a question in Section 1 was "have you applied for a student visa," and the respondent said no, and the survey was to track opinions of student visa applicants, then of course their input is not needed.

IRCC is using StatsCan's survey software to complete these surveys. All survey invitations come with a PIN to access it, sometimes some email applications will not format the link to the survey appropriately so you have to enter the PIN separately. If someone did not, it was because the link they clicked worked properly.

Reactions: Zarak ali

Alwayssuccessful!

Star Member
Jul 13, 2019
If you told me what the questions were in Section 1 I could give you a better answer. It's very common for initial questions to a survey being used to determine if the person should complete it. For example if a question in Section 1 was "have you applied for a student visa," and the respondent said no, and the survey was to track opinions of student visa applicants, then of course their input is not needed.

IRCC is using StatsCan's survey software to complete these surveys. All survey invitations come with a PIN to access it, sometimes some email applications will not format the link to the survey appropriately so you have to enter the PIN separately. If someone did not, it was because the link they clicked worked properly.
After he puts in the PIN to start the survey, this is the message that he receives. No opportunity to say anything:

Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey!

The answers you provided indicate that you are not eligible to take this survey at this time. Only those who meet the following criteria are eligible: Principal applicants of an approved or in-process permanent residence, study permit, or post-graduate work permit application.

If you have questions about this survey, you can contact us by emailing IRCC.YourSay-Votreavis.IRCC@cic.gc.ca.

ASTONMARTIN0614

Star Member
Dec 19, 2018
Has anybody else received with pending application received a request to complete a survey under the above subject heading? Essentially, IRCC is asking international students whose applications are pending to complete a survey about their travel plans, whether there is general restriction of movement in their country, whether they could do biometric and medicals without issues, whether you are able to travel locally as well as internationally as per global travel restrictions in most countries.

I have seen an international student whose application is pending (although he has received biometric validity letter and the accompanying push notification about current travel restrictions in Canada) and he was able to complete the survey and submit. I have also seen an international student who received similar email with a secret PIN with which he logged in to complete the survey, but was told upon login that "based on the answers you have provided in section 1, you are not eligible to complete this questionnaire.

I would like to hear people's experiences in both scenarios i.e. whether you successfully completed the 20 minute questionnaire or you could not go beyond question 1, because you are ineligible to complete it. My sense is that IRCC wants to sample people's travel opinions to have a fair idea of the number that may be rushing into the country once the border is opened. But why some would be able to complete the survey and others would not is still a mystery to me.
I have successfully completed to answer the survey just a while ago. No problem at all.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
After he puts in the PIN to start the survey, this is the message that he receives. No opportunity to say anything:

Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey!

The answers you provided indicate that you are not eligible to take this survey at this time. Only those who meet the following criteria are eligible: Principal applicants of an approved or in-process permanent residence, study permit, or post-graduate work permit application.

If you have questions about this survey, you can contact us by emailing IRCC.YourSay-Votreavis.IRCC@cic.gc.ca.
Likely because he already tried and his answers indicated he was not an applicant.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The survey won't impact his application, just so you know. They won't be able to tell who has completed it or not, and people who complete the survey are not getting preferential treatment.

Alwayssuccessful!

Star Member
Jul 13, 2019
Thanks. So I told him, but he is anxious and seems to think that the fact he is unable to complete the survey is an indication that his application may be denied. I have told him that may not be the case, but I also perfectly understand the source of his anxiety. His job is threatened and so is his life by employees (being a HR manager). He wants to leave the country as soon as he can to avoid tragedy. So, if he succeeds, he will be the happiest man on earth. Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks. So I told him, but he is anxious and seems to think that the fact he is unable to complete the survey is an indication that his application may be denied. I have told him that may not be the case, but I also perfectly understand the source of his anxiety. His job is threatened and so is his life by employees (being a HR manager). He wants to leave the country as soon as he can to avoid tragedy. So, if he succeeds, he will be the happiest man on earth. Thanks
As per KHP I would add that maybe not necessarily a good idea if an applicant includes any mention of life being in danger should they not get a study permit given that might be a red flg that purpose of getting a study permit is to claim asylum as opposed to a valid purpose of study in Camada.

Alwayssuccessful!

Star Member
Jul 13, 2019
ha ha hahe’s not mentioning that at all. Asylum doesn’t come in at all because the danger he senses is not political. He just wants to study further and leave the life of being a HR manager with all the threat each time an employee is laid off because the company is not doing well. If he gets a graduate degree, the plan is to go into academia when he returns home and not go back to that job to mingle with those folks out there.

vikenfirakezi

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
just sneaking in, I am planning to become an HR manager, please don't kill my high hopes about having a bright future and enjoy the beauties of life in the shape of HR manager.