+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student - Spouse TRV

milimili

Jun 8, 2014
I am an international PhD student in Canada and I'd love my husband to visit me for a semester. He is a PhD student in our home country and he can get a letter from his supervisor authorizing the leave. The trouble is that he is not employed and doesn't have bank account history. I want to provide everything for him during his stay in Canada.

Now, I am doing my PhD research in our home country and I'd love him to come to Canada with me and be there for a semester. After this, we would both go back to our home country, he will continue his studies and I will continue my research.

I am wondering what we need and how much money to prepare. I wanted to give him some money but I read in the other thread that this is bad and that I should not send him money. So, what to do? I also read that you need about $1000 per week of his stay even if I provide for everything (but then how come I need only $4000 for him for a whole year if we request spousal open work permit?)

I am so confused. Please help. What should we need to provide?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
milimili said:
I am an international PhD student in Canada and I'd love my husband to visit me for a semester. He is a PhD student in our home country and he can get a letter from his supervisor authorizing the leave. The trouble is that he is not employed and doesn't have bank account history. I want to provide everything for him during his stay in Canada.

Now, I am doing my PhD research in our home country and I'd love him to come to Canada with me and be there for a semester. After this, we would both go back to our home country, he will continue his studies and I will continue my research.

I am wondering what we need and how much money to prepare. I wanted to give him some money but I read in the other thread that this is bad and that I should not send him money. So, what to do? I also read that you need about $1000 per week of his stay even if I provide for everything (but then how come I need only $4000 for him for a whole year if we request spousal open work permit?)

I am so confused. Please help. What should we need to provide?
Basically you want him to come to live with you, not to visit you. TRVs are not meant for that, they are meant for visits which should be in the average of 2-4 weeks.

Canada wants to see he has solid and obvious reasons to believe he is not planning to overstay or illegally immigrate. Things that would prove that would be a job/study that would need him attending (max 3 week leave), or other kind of commitments that will make it likely to not stay in Canada. Asking for 6 months means you do not have this.

So, a visitor should have 1k per week to show he can afford the trip. For SOWP you need less as you will have a means to support yourself in Canada.

Keep the visit short, like 2-3 weeks tops. Showing 4k CAD is good for this.