+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student - Concern about PGWP after 1 year PG program

jp_88

Star Member
Jun 18, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I'm a student from Fanshawe college, London, ON. My course is "Software and Information System Testing" which ends by April, 2016. I have 4.6 years experience in India as System Analyst and this is my first 1 year PG program. I have posted my resume in different job portals and I have been getting calls from different agents. Some jobs sounds like a contract with possibility of extension and one or two jobs kind of permanent. But the unluckiest part of me is being a student in Canada and they're looking for a person with status as a experienced and work permit. My concerns are,

1) If I get a contract job anywhere in Ontario, will the work hours be counted for PR?? Coz, some people say, that the work hours may not be counted if it is a contract/ sub-contract job.

2) If I get a Job may be in 3 or 5 months, will I be able to extend my Visa? as I would get a year PGWP.

I have different thoughts running on my mind.. Since, I have been getting calls from different peoples which making me to think about getting a PGWP.. But some friends telling scary stories and asking me to apply for second course.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance for taking your time to reading my post and responding back!!!

Regards,
Jothi Prakash

Nas_AA

Star Member
Jul 15, 2014
Well to be completely honest, if you were able to find another one year PgD program related to you field, id say do it.

I graduated from Fanshawe as well as a 1 year PgD and I applied for my PGWP (currently waiting for a response). I couldn't find another course as this is the highest I can go with my field. I will get a 1 year PGWP which may not be enough unless I found a job the same day I get the approval.

If you decide to apply for the PR under the CEC, any work experience before graduation will not be accepted. So the best chance for you is:

1: Take another field related course and get the 3 year PGWP, would cost more tuition but on the long run will reduce the stress.

2: Start working after you graduate but before your study permit ends. If you do that, your experience will be counted.

To apply for PGWP, you need to have a valid study permit and apply 90 days from graduation date or the day you get your transcript.
So if you started working right after you finish your courses apply on the last 20 days of your 90 day duration but make sure your study permit is valid.

When you finally apply, you will be in implied status but you are still allowed to work and that counts as an experience. I had to do a lot of reading and research to learn about this as I wished somebody had told me this before so I could avoid the 1 year PGWP problem.
Anyways best of luck.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....