+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student becoming part time for two months?

Mar 4, 2016
Hello everyone,

I will try to make the long story short but, first of all lets just say that I have been studying at my college in Ontario for two and a half years. I have always been full-time student since I got here. I did two extra courses in summer to be ahead which in result, made me take four courses this year in the two semesters. I already had a situation with two courses I was not really good at therefore, I ended up in probation (I am in probation now for like 0.3). I am taking now four courses, one of them is Operational Management. I complain to my coordinator and the dean was called by the whole course to see how he gives the class. I am already doing really bad at his course even after he added the makeup assignment. My point is, I was planning to drop but, my coordinator told me I am not allowed to be a part-time student if I am international. Which makes me wonder, if I really drop this course and Im a part-time student for literally just TWO months what can the consequences be? I literally have no other options because if I don't drop this course my gpa will be so screwed that I will probably be kicked from my college. (I am doing a degree) The thing is, I want to avoid this because in my other three course I am doing so well (I will probably get above 85 in all three) and it would be really sad if I am forced to take Operational Management and fail.

What are my options? What can the consequences be?

Do you really think I would have to leave if I become a part time student for two months? If so, what are my option?

My Canadian friend told me he really doubts they will do something since its just two months but I want to make sure before I make any drastic moves (I have until March 18th before my gpa can be affected by that mark) I do have an international friend she literally leaves college for a year works for a full year in Canada and pays a semester. From what Ive seen the government hasnt even called her yet but its kind of a different case I want a good opinion on mine.

Note added: This is my fourth semester I have two more years to go after this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If this is your last semester - there are no issues with becoming part time and you'll have no issues getting a PGWP. If this is not your last semester - then I"m not sure.

As for your friend, you can expect she's going to run into massive issues once it's time to renew her study permit or apply for a PGWP.