+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Internation students off/on campus job

saifur

May 31, 2013
Someone please clear this confusion.
I am a graduate student
1. Are international students allowed to do more than 20 hours per week on-campus job/ unlimited on-campus job if university allowed to do.I mean is there any government rule for this.
2. I arrived here at January so according to new rule i can start working from 1st june. Is there any need to apply for work permit or i will be automatically eligible?
3.Let's say if i got TA in one semester.
is it possible to do 20 hours per week off-campus job in that particular semester.
(my job offer letter did not put any restriction on my off-campus work)
4. According to my university i have to maintain full-time status in fall+winter and part-time status in summer that's why i took one course in summer which will start from may.
can i do full-time job in summer(as i will toke only one course so i guess i will be able to maintain my academic performance)

please clear this confusion and if possible please provide source :)
(I know i am here for study but it will better if get some extra money from my summer job and of course i want to follow Canadian government rules)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

saifur said:
I am a graduate student
1. Are international students allowed to do more than 20 hours per week on-campus job/ unlimited on-campus job if university allowed to do.I mean is there any government rule for this.
2. I arrived here at January so according to new rule i can start working from 1st june. Is there any need to apply for work permit or i will be automatically eligible?
is it possible to do 20 hours per week off-campus job in that particular semester.
4. According to my university i have to maintain full-time status in fall+winter and part-time status in summer that's why i took one course in summer which will start from may.
can i do full-time job in summer(as i will toke only one course so i guess i will be able to maintain my academic performance)

(I know i am here for study but it will better if get some extra money from my summer job and of course i want to follow Canadian government rules)
1. Yes
2. Here is what CIC says. On June 1, 2014, if you hold a study permit but you have not yet applied for an Off-Campus Work Permit, you are authorized to work off campus without a work permit as long as you meet the eligibility requirements for working off campus.
3. Yes
4. Odd that you have to take a course in the summer, but IMHO you can work full time off campus during the break.

saifur

May 31, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

1. Yes
2. Here is what CIC says. On June 1, 2014, if you hold a study permit but you have not yet applied for an Off-Campus Work Permit, you are authorized to work off campus without a work permit as long as you meet the eligibility requirements for working off campus.
3. Yes
4. Odd that you have to take a course in the summer, but IMHO you can work full time off campus during the break.
Thanks a lot for your answer.I really appreciate.
Could you please provide me any source for the fourth answer because i don't want to fall in any trouble because of job/money.
i hope you understand my situation.
another question
5.i guess i can do two part-time off-campus job as i am taking one course so there is a possibility that i will not get full-time summer job.
Am i right?

Thanks again

mokhaleel

Jan 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
abu dhabi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
10-02-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2014
LANDED..........
Soon
saifur said:
Thanks a lot for your answer.I really appreciate.
Could you please provide me any source for the fourth answer because i don't want to fall in any trouble because of job/money.
i hope you understand my situation.
another question
5.i guess i can do two part-time off-campus job as i am taking one course so there is a possibility that i will not get full-time summer job.
Am i right?

Thanks again
Hi Guys, I'm happy to hear your discussion
And I have one question
I have TRV allows me to work on-campus full-time and off-campus 20hr/week in all year round and 40hr/week for summer, my question is
What If I would like to work off-campus full time ? which will considered violation? Practically , will I face trouble, or it will be no problem. really because my program held in week-end and the job I found needs me to work full time otherwise no.

Please help in this issue according to your experiences

Thanks a lot

mokhaleel

Jan 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
abu dhabi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
10-02-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2014
LANDED..........
Soon
PMM said:
Hi

1. Yes
3. Yes
And I have a clarification request please
I have TRV allows me to work on-campus full-time and off-campus 20hr/week in all year round and 40hr/week for summer, my question is
What If I would like to work off-campus full time ? which will considered violation? Practically , will I face trouble, or it will be no problem. really because my program held in week-end and the job I found needs me to work full time otherwise no.

Thanks a lot

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
mokhaleel said:
And I have a clarification request please

Thanks a lot
do u have a study permit?.....
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

monchi

Mar 18, 2014
Hi guys. I am still in doubt whether I am allowed to apply for a job or not on June 1st ??? ???. I do have a study permit for 2 years in canada I still have one and a half left. But currently I am not studying from January 2014 to September 2014 when my full-time program will commence. Now am I allowed to even apply for SIN and then get a job Off-campus until I start my program. ?

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
Sukh wele shukrana, dukh wele ardaas... har wele simran!!
Hi Guys...

I was reading through the conversation and surprised to know that there is no restriction on number of hours for ON-CAMPUS job. Can anybody cross-check whether this is right information? Because I told my college to keep my hours 20/week, but if this information is correct, I can ask college to double my hours :)

Also, ANOTHER QUESTION>> I do have a nice on-campus job now (80hr/month)... can I still work off-campus full-time during break and 80hr/month during academic session EXTRA in addition to my on-campus job (after june 1 obviously!)?

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
Regina said:
No, you are allowed to work 20 hrs a week together on and off campus. (and 40 hrs a week during breaks)
Check out the link below. University of British Columbia (UBC) clearly states that there is no limit on ON-CAMPUS work hours EVEN DURING academic session referring to CIC rules on international students. So this is a clear fact. I'm confused whether the 20hr/week off-campus can still be used in addition to on-campus job. (I'm talking about academic semester specifically... I know scheduled breaks are full-time both on and off campus)

http://students.ubc.ca/career/resources/work-permits/on-campus-work

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
saifur said:
I am a graduate student

ODDLY, According to University of Regina, they operate on 3 semester/yr basis and they have declared in their website that students have to be enrolled in all 3 semesters (2 full time and 1 part time) and none of 3 semesters is scheduled break there LOL. So I THINK it depends on your course more or less. In my case my course has summers off which says on brochure of my program as well. So technically i'll be studying 4 semesters in 2 years and 2 summers r off lol.

I WAS CHECKING THIS LINK FROM CIC WEBSITE WHICH SOLVES ALL QUESTIONS (sort of).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/guide-dir.asp#part3_1

Above link states that, "Although there is no law or policy keeping students from working 20 hours a week on campus and 20 hours a week off campus, DIRs should discourage students from working more than 20 hours a week. DIRs should remind students that they must study full time and keep an acceptable academic standing to stay eligible for the program."

Secondly, if you read through page you will find out that COLLEGES WITH 3 SEMESTER SYSTEM HAVE NO SCHEDULED BREAKS AND HENCE STUDENTS THERE CANNOT WORK FULL TIME OFF-CAMPUS.

Experienced users, Kindly give your opinions!