+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Insurance 101 for person with PGWP

bossbaby

Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON
Category........
WP
Hi Everyone,

While I was studying in Ontario I was covered by UHIP. Now that I graduated and working with a PGWP I have zero idea on what insurances I should get or what their policy is or what insurance firms cater to needs of temporary residents. Can someone please help me out?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Do you have company insurance through work? If so, see what is included. If not, do you need dental, eyes, prescription insurance? Is it worth it for you to have to pay for insurance premiums or just pay out of pocket. OHIP doesn’t include dental, prescription, physio etc.

Reactions: rcincanada2019

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Do you have company insurance through work? If so, see what is included. If not, do you need dental, eyes, prescription insurance? Is it worth it for you to have to pay for insurance premiums or just pay out of pocket. OHIP doesn’t include dental, prescription, physio etc.
I forgot to mention that about OHIP :)

Reactions: Naturgrl

bossbaby

Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON
Category........
WP
Unfortunately I am not insured by the organization I work with. I believe (since there is no urgency) that my premium will not be unbearable but I would like to stay insured. I would be grateful if you could point me to some insurance companies who would not turn out to be a predator due to my lack of knowledge and context

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately I am not insured by the organization I work with. I believe (since there is no urgency) that my premium will not be unbearable but I would like to stay insured. I would be grateful if you could point me to some insurance companies who would not turn out to be a predator due to my lack of knowledge and context
You will likely be better off paying out of pocket versus paying for private policies for dental, vision, pharmacare, etc. The coverqge that you can purchase as an individual is expensive and doesn’t cover much or deductibles are very high.

If you have a full-time job that will last over 6 months you qualify for OHIP coverage. You will need to provide a letter from your employer indicating that the job is full-time and will last over 6 months. You can find the details that are required in the letter listed online

Reactions: YVR123