+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland spousal sponsorship, leaving Canada with TRV?

John Ey

Oct 22, 2017
Hi, I need some help.

My GF and I are planning to get married next year. We want to apply for an inland sponsorship so she can hold a work permit while we wait. I have read that leaving Canada is a risk if you are denied entry. But is this true if you hold a multiple entry TRV visa like she does?

Really our ideal timeline is like this. I am wondering if its possible.

1. She comes to Canada and studies for a 3 month course under her TRV which is legal if under 6 month duration.

2. We get married on paper in Canada and applies through inland sponsor

3. We fly to vietnam for the wedding ceremony.

4. Fly back before OWP is issued, receive OWP and start working.

5. She is still able to leave Canada for short stints because of the multiple entry TRV.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I need some help.

My GF and I are planning to get married next year. We want to apply for an inland sponsorship so she can hold a work permit while we wait. I have read that leaving Canada is a risk if you are denied entry. But is this true if you hold a multiple entry TRV visa like she does?

Really our ideal timeline is like this. I am wondering if its possible.

1. She comes to Canada and studies for a 3 month course under her TRV which is legal if under 6 month duration.

2. We get married on paper in Canada and applies through inland sponsor

3. We fly to vietnam for the wedding ceremony.

4. Fly back before OWP is issued, receive OWP and start working.

5. She is still able to leave Canada for short stints because of the multiple entry TRV.
Hi

Yes, it is still true even if she has a TRV. She does not have the right of entry to Canada and there is always the possibility of refusal. As stated on the website, if she plans to leave Canada during the sponsorship process, she is advised to apply outland.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed on the above. Based on what you've described, you should apply outland. Inland is really for those who plan to remain in Canada without leaving and re-enter is never guaranteed. Sounds like she wants to be able to travel freely - in that case outland is the right choice.

John Ey

Oct 22, 2017
Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it.
If we apply for the outland, are we able to do the paperwork before our wedding? or we have to go for the wedding first then apply?
If we do the outland, is it possible for my gf to enter and stay in Canada with her TRV while waiting for the outland? is she able to extend her TRV while staying in Canada? Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it.
If we apply for the outland, are we able to do the paperwork before our wedding? or we have to go for the wedding first then apply?
If we do the outland, is it possible for my gf to enter and stay in Canada with her TRV while waiting for the outland? is she able to extend her TRV while staying in Canada? Thank you
You need to be either married or common law before you can complete and submit the paperwork. Common law means that you have lived together continuously for at least one full year.

Yes - she can come to Canada as a visitor while the outland application is being processed. She will need to ensure she looks like a visitor and not someone who is moving to Canada before she is allowed to do so. So she will need a return ticket, should pack only as much as a tourist packs and leave the rest at home, etc.

John Ey

Oct 22, 2017
You need to be either married or common law before you can complete and submit the paperwork. Common law means that you have lived together continuously for at least one full year.

Yes - she can come to Canada as a visitor while the outland application is being processed. She will need to ensure she looks like a visitor and not someone who is moving to Canada before she is allowed to do so. So she will need a return ticket, should pack only as much as a tourist packs and leave the rest at home, etc.
Thank you Scylla,
Do you think it is possible to get a successful application with only a marriage licence. Then do the ceremony and the wedding later? Thanks !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you Scylla,
Do you think it is possible to get a successful application with only a marriage licence. Then do the ceremony and the wedding later? Thanks !
Depends on the extent of your other relationship evidence. Also depends on the cultural norms of your GF's country.

John Ey

Oct 22, 2017
I see. Do you think it is possible for us to get a marriage license in Canada since my girlfriend is from Vietnam? or I have to go to Vietnam and get the marriage paperwork there and translate into English?
If we can get it in Canada? what are the requirements? Thank you so much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You really need to move over to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. This is where all of the discussions on spousal sponsorship can be found.