+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland or outland, which is best in my circumstances?

Irish Colleen

Star Member
Aug 8, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th December 2011
File Transfer...
7th February 2012
Med's Done....
9th December 2011
LANDED..........
20th May 2012
Hi, I am in Canada on my visitor extension and I will have been here 12 months in November this year. I had a medical condition earlier in the year, but thankfully it turned out to be not too serious and I was able to stay here and have it looked after. :)

It is now time for us to gather our documents etc and get the application ready to send in late November. we are applying for common-law sponsorship

So I have been reading as many relevant posts as I can and have a couple of questions.

1. Outland or Inland - I would love to be able to travel to Ireland/ England to see family - can I do that once we have sent our application in if we do it Outland through London? What documents would I need at the border to return to Canada?

2. What is the difference for us between spousal or common law. We intend to get married, but as we want to plan a family wedding with both sides of our family, we would prefer to have it later, when our families can get together.

3. If we apply through London - do we have to go to London when the PR card is issued to have it inserted into my passport?

4. On the document check list it states that we need to get 'Statutory declarations of individuals with personal knowledge that your relationship is geniune and continuing' - can someone explain this. We have no problem getting our family members and friends, both here and in Ireland/UK to write letters on our behalf -but what does 'STATUTORY' mean?

5. I have two grown up children, living in the UK - 23 years, 27 years, both finished with education and in relationships of their own, no children. Do I put them on the application? They no intention of moving to Canada.

Our application is fairly straightforward, my lovely Canadian man fits the criteria for sponsorship, and neither of us have any circumstances that would make it difficult. We are both financially sound and there should be no problems. We are totally commited to each other and can't wait to get on with spending the rest of our lives together.

I think our main issue is freedom to travel while I wait for the application to be approved, just one trip to the UK/Ireland would make it so much easier to see family and friends etc.

If anyone can answer these questions, we would be really grateful, thanks in advance

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
1) Definitely go Outland, London has one of the fastest processing times. At the moment some applicants from May 2011 are receiving PR visas. Inland applications from May won't be dealt with before March 2012. You see the difference? Outland applications are processed without regard to the applicant's current location, so you won't affect your application by leaving Canada after it is filed.

Take your copy of the fees receipt and, if you have it at that time, the sponsor approval letter. You should have little trouble returning, many UK spouses wait out their processing in Canada.

2) If you can prove 12 months of continuous cohabitation, go ahead and file common-law. Common-law couples MUST prove this. Spouses do not have to, the basis of their relationship is the marriage certificate.

3) You can send it to London for the visa to be inserted, then "land" at a border crossing with the US by "flagpoling". You advise US Customs you do not wish to enter the country, they turn you around, you present the Canadian officials with your Confirmation of Permanent Residence forms and visa in your passport, and it's done. It's taking about 18-21 days for persons to send and have their passports returned. You don't need to submit it in person.

4) Statutory means that the letter is notarized or witnessed by a commissioner of oaths or a notary public or similar person, in other words, someone who can seal the letter as to its authenticity.

5) They are over 22, so they are not sponsorable as dependents. You would still include them, but they would be non-accompanying.

Irish Colleen

Star Member
Aug 8, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13th December 2011
File Transfer...
7th February 2012
Med's Done....
9th December 2011
LANDED..........
20th May 2012
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm delighted that we can travel during the waiting period for the PR card.