+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland - is owp a 100% approval?

Huyoen

Star Member
Jan 6, 2019
Hello,

Is owp a 100% approval after you get AOR? (paid $255 for owp, however biometrics I only paid once for pr not owp so I hope that's fine) I read that it was provided that you HAVE a pr app going and that even if the pr itself was denied the owp will be approved? I'm just curious since I'm not 10000% on my cohabitation proofs for common law but if I could get the owp that'd still help give me more time to strengthen my proofs for later submission if the officer decides its not enough. If anyone knows that'd be amazing. Thank you

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Yes, provided you satisfied all the technicalities (paid fee, signed the form, etc), you will get a work permit and it will not be revoked upon PR application refusal. The OWP will be valid for two years, provided you have at least two more years until your passport expiry.

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Yes, provided you satisfied all the technicalities (paid fee, signed the form, etc), you will get a work permit and it will not be revoked upon PR application refusal. The OWP will be valid for two years, provided you have at least two more years until your passport expiry.
Hello. I also would like to clarify. I am applying for OWP along with PR through my common law partner. I am from the United States. We have a strong case but have been advised many PR cases being denied if both of us are not on the lease. I am not as my partner has had the house in his name for three plus years. Will I get through AOR without the lease? If I then get the OWP, can I keep it even if I get denied PR and how long is the permit good for? Many thanks for your help!

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hello. I also would like to clarify. I am applying for OWP along with PR through my common law partner. I am from the United States. We have a strong case but have been advised many PR cases being denied if both of us are not on the lease. I am not as my partner has had the house in his name for three plus years. Will I get through AOR without the lease? If I then get the OWP, can I keep it even if I get denied PR and how long is the permit good for? Many thanks for your help!
Yes, you'll receive the AOR if the application is complete (all the forms are there, everything signed and filled out). OWP is issued for two years, unless your passport expires sooner (in which case til passport expiry) and you keep it case of PR app rejection.

The lease isn't the be all end all. Do you have joint utilities, bank accounts, and the like?

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Yes, you'll receive the AOR if the application is complete (all the forms are there, everything signed and filled out). OWP is issued for two years, unless your passport expires sooner (in which case til passport expiry) and you keep it case of PR app rejection.

The lease isn't the be all end all. Do you have joint utilities, bank accounts, and the like?
Thank you for your quick response! We just opened a joint bank account in the past month. I have bank transfers for the past year we have lived together to my partner, to help with monthly rent and expenses. We have a lot of Facebook messages and texts between us when he asked me to move in, along with messages from my prior roommates discussing my giving notice to move in with my Partner(they provided a written letter as well), I filed my taxes with our mutual address last year, my bank accounts have our mutual address for past 13 months, and my employers have used my address for all employment records. he is also my beneficiary on new life insurance my employer just offered me. Does this seem strong? Our actual relationship would not be in question as I was in many pictures of his sister's wedding in 2017 , their family Xmas card & calendar, they paid for my ticket to eastern Canada (from Calgary) to attend the wedding, and he traveled to the US this Xmas to spend the holidays with my family.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Whoever "advised" you is an idiot. Apps are not refused because both people aren't on the lease. Many couples live with family and don't even have a lease or one person owned the home since before the relationship started.

IRCC looks at all of the common-law proofs as a whole.

Thank you for your quick response! We just opened a joint bank account in the past month. I have bank transfers for the past year we have lived together to my partner, to help with monthly rent and expenses. We have a lot of Facebook messages and texts between us when he asked me to move in, along with messages from my prior roommates discussing my giving notice to move in with my Partner(they provided a written letter as well), I filed my taxes with our mutual address last year, my bank accounts have our mutual address for past 13 months, and my employers have used my address for all employment records. he is also my beneficiary on new life insurance my employer just offered me. Does this seem strong? Our actual relationship would not be in question as I was in many pictures of his sister's wedding in 2017 , their family Xmas card & calendar, they paid for my ticket to eastern Canada (from Calgary) to attend the wedding, and he traveled to the US this Xmas to spend the holidays with my family.
You mention your proofs. What address proofs did you submit for your partner?

Reactions: Bacrs

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
And OWP approval means PR approval for sure?

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Whoever "advised" you is an idiot. Apps are not refused because both people aren't on the lease. Many couples live with family and don't even have a lease or one person owned the home since before the relationship started.

IRCC looks at all of the common-law proofs as a whole.

You mention your proofs. What address proofs did you submit for your partner?
His best friend was his prior roommate and moved out so we could live together. He wrote a letter regarding this. His mother also wrote a letter. He has his bank accounts and license and tax returns.I believe most of the rest of the proof is joint. Do the items I discussed as proof in this thread seem "strong" enough in your opinion? Appreciate your advice. Thank you.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
His best friend was his prior roommate and moved out so we could live together. He wrote a letter regarding this. His mother also wrote a letter. He has his bank accounts and license and tax returns.I believe most of the rest of the proof is joint. Do the items I discussed as proof in this thread seem "strong" enough in your opinion? Appreciate your advice. Thank you.
Sounds fine.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
What does it mean then that I STILL haven't received approval for the OWP and it's been 5 months! I can't link the OWP online. Does that mean that it was denied?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What does it mean then that I STILL haven't received approval for the OWP and it's been 5 months! I can't link the OWP online. Does that mean that it was denied?
It means that we are in the midst of a pandemic and processing is delayed for everyone. You aren't the only one waiting 5 months for the OWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The posted processing time before COVID-19 was 4-5 months. Things are taking longer right now due to COVID-19. So your processing times look completely normal right now and there's no reason to be concerned. Having said that, certainly frustrating to have to wait longer. Good luck and hope you have it soon.