+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland APR Eligibility Decision Letter received ?

eivacastillo

Mar 19, 2022
Hi,

We finally got news after a long time without any news ! The timeline is in my signature.

We just received an email from IRCC named ''Inland APR Eligibility Decision Letter''

They effectively approve my elligibility (principal applicant) which is a good news but there is a part of the letter that worries me :

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you and all your family members have met these requirements.

In our application, I'm the only applicant that is getting sponsored, but does this means that my mother and father that still lives in Mexico should get a background check and medical exam done ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,

We finally got news after a long time without any news ! The timeline is in my signature.

We just received an email from IRCC named ''Inland APR Eligibility Decision Letter''

They effectively approve my elligibility (principal applicant) which is a good news but there is a part of the letter that worries me :

It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Please note that a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident until you and all your family members have met these requirements.

In our application, I'm the only applicant that is getting sponsored, but does this means that my mother and father that still lives in Mexico should get a background check and medical exam done ?

You parents are not your "immediate family member" in IRCC family sponsorship applications.

I think that's standard wordings for dependents (children) outside or inside Canada.

Reactions: eivacastillo

Ehh

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
Hi,

Hi there! Not sure if this thread is still active... wondering if you have received any updates since that letter? My spouse got the same letter dated August 25th, however we are still waiting for a final decision.

eivacastillo

Mar 19, 2022
Hi there! Not sure if this thread is still active... wondering if you have received any updates since that letter? My spouse got the same letter dated August 25th, however we are still waiting for a final decision.
No, background verification is still in progress. No news

Ehh

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
Thank you for replying. looks like ours is still in progress too, however we have dependents listed and it's making things more complicated. Good luck!

Judy1536

Jan 26, 2023
Hello, I just got the same email. Is it possible if I use the letter to apply MSP or open work permit? Thank you so much!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, I just got the same email. Is it possible if I use the letter to apply MSP or open work permit? Thank you so much!
In theory, yes.

"It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class."

This means that the sponsor has been approved, because without an approved sponsor, an applicant for spousal sponsorship would NOT be eligible.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible

A spouse or child of an eligible B.C. resident may also be deemed a resident provided that an application for permanent residence has been submitted to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the sponsorship fee (if applicable), application for permanent residence fee and Right of Permanent Residence fee have been paid in full. Per IRCC, the dependent child of a sponsor is exempt from the Right of Permanent Residence fee.

It looks like things have changed, which is good for all spousal sponsorship applicants! If you have paid all of the fees, you look like you're eligible.

Previously, you would have needed to wait until you received the AIP email to be eligible.

You can now apply for the OWP, but could have actually applied for that once you received the AOR email, which would have come much sooner. Either way, congrats!

Reactions: Judy1536

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, it certainly HAS changed.

Here's what the same page showed back in 2015:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150710044243/https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible

Dependents

Dependents of MSP beneficiaries are also eligible for coverage if they are residents of B.C. Dependents include a spouse and children who are residents of B.C. using the conditions as set out above.

• Spouse: a resident of B.C. who is married to or is living and cohabiting in a marriage-like relationship with the applicant, and may be of the same gender as the applicant.
  • “Child” - a resident of BC who is the legal child of the beneficiary or the person in respect of whom a beneficiary stands in place of the parent, is supported by the beneficiary, is neither married nor living and cohabitating in a marriage like-relationship, and is either age 18 or younger or age 19-24 and attending school or university full-time.

A spouse or child of an eligible B.C. resident may also be deemed a resident provided that an application for permanent residence status has been accepted for processing by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), and the application remains active. For more information, see Covering a Spouse or Child who is an Applicant for Permanent Resident Status in Canada (PDF, 274KB).
---

The part in red was a real sticking point, because Health Insurance BC would always try to argue that this meant `once the application has been forwarded for processing', or some garbage, which would have meant AFTER the AIP stage.

Judy1536

Jan 26, 2023
In theory, yes.

"It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class."

This means that the sponsor has been approved, because without an approved sponsor, an applicant for spousal sponsorship would NOT be eligible.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible

A spouse or child of an eligible B.C. resident may also be deemed a resident provided that an application for permanent residence has been submitted to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the sponsorship fee (if applicable), application for permanent residence fee and Right of Permanent Residence fee have been paid in full. Per IRCC, the dependent child of a sponsor is exempt from the Right of Permanent Residence fee.

It looks like things have changed, which is good for all spousal sponsorship applicants! If you have paid all of the fees, you look like you're eligible.

Previously, you would have needed to wait until you received the AIP email to be eligible.

You can now apply for the OWP, but could have actually applied for that once you received the AOR email, which would have come much sooner. Either way, congrats!
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I appreciate a lot.
BTW, I submitted my application before my study permit expired. But now I am out of status. So should I apply visitor visa to maintain legal status ? Thank you so much in advance.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I appreciate a lot.
BTW, I submitted my application before my study permit expired. But now I am out of status. So should I apply visitor visa to maintain legal status ? Thank you so much in advance.
You're welcome!

Since you are now out of status, you should apply for Restoration of Status (ROS).
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html

You only have 90 days after your status expired to apply. Hopefully, it's not too late for you.

Judy1536

Jan 26, 2023
You're welcome!

Since you are now out of status, you should apply for Restoration of Status (ROS).
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html

You only have 90 days after your status expired to apply. Hopefully, it's not too late for you.
Hi Ponga, thank you so much for your information. Luckily I still have enough time to restore my status. But can I use the inland APR eligibility decision letter to apply open work permit and restore my status at the same time Or I have to restore my status as a visitor then apply for open work permit after the visitor record approved? I just dont know what to do now. I am very sorry to ask so many questions. Thank you so much for your help in advance.