+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Application Differences

ferpy69

Apr 26, 2009
My partner is currently on a travel visa in Canada and we got married about two weeks ago. We are now going through the application process from within Canada (inland application) but there are very little specifics on the CIC website about inland applications.
So I have a few questions that maybe people can help with:

1) For the medical exam and the police clearance, are we notified when to proceed with that because from what I understand it does not all need to be sent immediately with the initial application??
2) We are sending a visa extension application along with everything to speed up the process for the open work visa. However, his travel visa expires in a month...do we have to apply for a travel visa extension or??

Any info would be great!
Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ferpy69 said:
My partner is currently on a travel visa in Canada and we got married about two weeks ago. We are now going through the application process from within Canada (inland application) but there are very little specifics on the CIC website about inland applications.

1) For the medical exam and the police clearance, are we notified when to proceed with that because from what I understand it does not all need to be sent immediately with the initial application??
2) We are sending a visa extension application along with everything to speed up the process for the open work visa. However, his travel visa expires in a month...do we have to apply for a travel visa extension or??

Any info would be great!
Thanks
1. Re-read the instructions all the Police Certificates and the medical receipt form go with the application to Vegreville.
2. Should apply for a visitor extension as well.

PMM

ferpy69

Apr 26, 2009
Yeah, this was the thing that confused me I think...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

How to obtain a police certificate
Canada

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian police clearance once your application is being processed.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ferpy69 said:
Yeah, this was the thing that confused me I think...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

How to obtain a police certificate
Canada

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian police clearance once your application is being processed.
I assume that your partner has lived in other countries, s/he doesn't require a Canada records check, but does require a Police Certificate from every country where s/he has lived for 6 months or more since turning 18

PMM

J

jdwhite21

PMM:

But I thought the police check expires after 3 months and the medical check expires after a yr. What if the application is not processed before than because you are doing an inland application... Would you have to redo both?

Thanks
Jessie

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jdwhite21 said:
PMM:

But I thought the police check expires after 3 months and the medical check expires after a yr. What if the application is not processed before than because you are doing an inland application... Would you have to redo both?

Thanks
Jessie
1. Reread: the Police Certificate cannot be older than 3 months when submitted, not expire after 3 months.
2. The medical exam can be extended in Canada for an additional year.
3. You know if you don't follow the instructions re the medicals and PCCs, your application will be delayed and delayed, but again it always your choice.

PMM

J

jdwhite21

Well apparently I can't read.. Thank you very much for clearing that up, now we won't have to worry about having any delays.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
ferpy69 said:

Any info would be great!
Thanks
It is not as important to include the medical exam and criminal clearances (police checks) with the submission of an inland application as it is (required) with an outland ap - but if you do include them with the initial submission, you will benefit from faster processing because they will not have to request them from you just at the time when they'd be ready to review them.

It IS, however, VERY important that you include the extension (Open Work Permit) application WITH your inland PR application - and it must be received by CPC-Vegreville BEFORE his travel visa expires. (You can read about this in the Inland Applicant's Guide under "Your Status in Canada - How to Maintain Your Status"). Track your shipment so that you have confirmation of receipt and delivery signature. That will be your proof that he has what's referred to as "implied status" to remain in Canada until they make a decision on the first stage of approval (about 6-7 months after receipt of the application). If he gets Approval in Principle, the OWP will be issued automatically and it becomes his new temporary status document. This is the absolute easiest way to ensure that he keeps his valid temporary status and gets a work permit at the earliest possible time.

If you DON'T include the extension application WITH the PR ap, CPC-Vegreville might not know whether his status has been extended . . . and if they can't readily verify that, they will transfer the PR application to the local CIC office for processing before they issue AIP. Some local offices can be backlogged for up to 2 years - so you don't want to get caught in that situation. Simple solution - file both applications (be sure to pay both fees) TOGETHER in the same envelope and make sure they get to CPC-V before his current visa expires. That way you will know for sure that his temporary status is safe and you can wait for AIP in peace.

madzibaba

May 20, 2009
Inland application

If you have a Humanitarian and Compassionate application in process do you need to notify CIC whe you have made an inland application.

Is there any recommended time to wait before applying after getting married , or the sooner the better and it will not arouse any curiosity

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Inland application

madzibaba said:
If you have a Humanitarian and Compassionate application in process do you need to notify CIC whe you have made an inland application.

Is there any recommended time to wait before applying after getting married , or the sooner the better and it will not arouse any curiosity
Yes, you need to let them know about any applications you have in progress.