+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

information sharing

Baba boi

Jan 17, 2019
Hi everyone
I need some opinions here
let's say an applicant for a spouse visa had a drug addiction in the past and was admitted to a psychiatric hospital and was diagnosed with substance use disorder then was subsequently transferred to a rehabilitation facilty and went through rehabilitation and has since been clean and sober for many year's

would that make a applicant inadmissible on health grounds to Canada?

and would the applicant need to disclose that on the schedule a background form and to the panel physician ?

and would immigration and or the panel physician be able to obtain public health records on a applicant?

thanks for your opinions in advance
regards

Baba boi

Jan 17, 2019
If she has received care in Canada yes the information about what services she accessed will be available.
thanks for your response.

but the principal applicant is from Trinidad and tobago and access public health care in Trinidad and tobago and is doing a outland spouse sponsorship

the Canadian spouse is sponsoring

it's the foreign spouse who had the past issues

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone
I need some opinions here
let's say an applicant for a spouse visa had a drug addiction in the past and was admitted to a psychiatric hospital and was diagnosed with substance use disorder then was subsequently transferred to a rehabilitation facilty and went through rehabilitation and has since been clean and sober for many year's

would that make a applicant inadmissible on health grounds to Canada?

and would the applicant need to disclose that on the schedule a background form and to the panel physician ?

and would immigration and or the panel physician be able to obtain public health records on a applicant?

thanks for your opinions in advance
regards
No, it does not make her inadmissible.

Yes, she needs to disclose it.

No, IRCC cannot obtain her medical records.

Baba boi

Jan 17, 2019
There is no medical inadmissibility for spousal sponsorship. You should always be honest in your medical.
yes i plan on being honest

so just to clarify with you
in regards with spouse not being medically inadmissible

in my case of past addiction and labelled as a substance use disorder psychiatric hospital patient

that still can't make me or anyone similar inadmissible on health grounds?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes i plan on being honest

so just to clarify with you
in regards with spouse not being medically inadmissible

in my case of past addiction and labelled as a substance use disorder psychiatric hospital patient

that still can't make me or anyone similar inadmissible on health grounds?
Yes they wouldn't be medically inadmissible unless for some reason they could be a danger to Canadians society.

Baba boi

Jan 17, 2019
Yes they wouldn't be medically inadmissible unless for some reason they could be a danger to Canadians society.
and what medical/ mental diseases may constitute a risk of posing a danger to Canada public at large.
may you enlighten me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should be aware the there are long wait times in mental health treatment in Canada. Also the psychologists are not usually covered by the provincial health care plans. Full or partial reimbursement for therapy/counselling sessions may be available through extended benefits. Any medication management is usually done at the family doctor level.