+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian trying to get Canadian Visitor Visa

melissam

Sep 21, 2018
I am Canadian, my partner is Indian, from Goa. I am trying to help him get to Canada on a visitor visa to come for as long as possible. I know I am unable to sponsor him because we are not married and are only common law for 6 months. All of the info out there is so overwhelming! Does anyone have any advice on how he can come here? He would like to be able to get a work permit, ideally. But we'd start with anything. Thanks!!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am Canadian, my partner is Indian, from Goa. I am trying to help him get to Canada on a visitor visa to come for as long as possible. I know I am unable to sponsor him because we are not married and are only common law for 6 months. All of the info out there is so overwhelming! Does anyone have any advice on how he can come here? He would like to be able to get a work permit, ideally. But we'd start with anything. Thanks!!
You should assume a work permit will not be possible. To qualify for a work permit, he needs a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA. It's next to impossible to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process.

He can certainly apply for a TRV (tourist visa) to visit Canada. This will allow him to come as a tourist but not work. Unless he has traveled extensively to countries requiring visas (e.g. UK, US), he should request a short trip to Canada when he applies (2-3 weeks at most). He will also need to demonstrate that he has strong ties to his home country (e.g. employment, property ownership/rental, assets) to prove he has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. Application details are here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

melissam

Sep 21, 2018
Thanks for your reply! He does have a lot of history of travel to various countries as he has worked for years on a cruise ship. Any suggestions on how we could get him a longer visa than a few weeks??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply! He does have a lot of history of travel to various countries as he has worked for years on a cruise ship. Any suggestions on how we could get him a longer visa than a few weeks??
Recommend you spend time reading through the discussions in the Visitors section of the forum and join the discussions there.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
How likely is it for him to get a LMIA job and apply that way?
Not sure what your long-term plans are:
To work towards common-law and you could then sponsor him? Or only for him to stay as long as he can whether as a visitor or on another temporary visa?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Eventually towards sponsorship, yes.
The LMIA/WP route is very difficult/most likely won't happen.

His only option is to get a TRV/visitor visa.... stay for 6 months and then apply to extend his stay so you meet the 12 months' requirement/can get other documents for sponsorship as common-law

melissam

Sep 21, 2018
Ah yes, that sounds like a very good plan! My only question is whether or not it is likely that they would grant him a TRV for 6 months? And then extension?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My only question is whether or not it is likely that they would grant him a TRV for 6 months? And then extension?
Stating a visit of 6 months is guaranteed to result in a TRV refusal. You would not want to declare your relationship too when he applies. Hope he has someone else who could invite him, preferably one of his family members/relative.

His visit must be for 2-3 weeks max. + he must have adequate financial resources to pay for his visit, airfare, etc + more importantly, he must demonstrate he has exceptionally strong ties to return to Goa (employment, property/land ownership, dependent family members, financial investments, etc).

The validity of his TRV will depend on the assessment by the visa officer. Also, how long he is actually allowed to stay initially will depend on the immigration officer he meets at the POE

melissam

Sep 21, 2018
Stating a visit of 6 months is guaranteed to result in a TRV refusal. You would not want to declare your relationship too when he applies. Hope he has someone else who could invite him, preferably one of his family members/relative.

His visit must be for 2-3 weeks max. + he must have adequate financial resources to pay for his visit, airfare, etc + more importantly, he must demonstrate he has exceptionally strong ties to return to Goa (employment, property/land ownership, dependent family members, financial investments, etc).

The validity of his TRV will depend on the assessment by the visa officer. Also, how long he is actually allowed to stay initially will depend on the immigration officer he meets at the POE
Unfortunately no other family members to invite him. But he can prove a good case of planning to return to Goa with property, investments + business... wow, how can such a thing be so subjective to the individual officer.... ack.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Unfortunately no other family members to invite him. But he can prove a good case of planning to return to Goa with property, investments + business... wow, how can such a thing be so subjective to the individual officer.... ack.
If he owns a business, is it sole ownership or in partnership with someone else? Is he required to manage the business on a day-to-day basis? Can he provide evidence for this?

Are the properties legally owned by him and not co-owned with other family members?

Any properties which are rented out or maybe as service apartments? If yes, any rent agreements or contracts?