+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INDIAN PASSPORT EXPIRING IN LESS THAN 6 MONTHS

SonuM1407

May 8, 2014
HI

I am an international student in canada and my passport is expiring on 15 november 2014 and has a valid CAnadian Student Visa till 14 NoVember 2014 (till the date of expiry of my passport). I am returning back to Canada on 2nd June 2014 and will have a validity of almost 5.5 months on my passport. Am i eligible to travel back to Canada and get my passport renewed there?

Best Regards

dok

Apr 20, 2014
SonuM1407 said:
HI

I am an international student in canada and my passport is expiring on 15 november 2014 and has a valid CAnadian Student Visa till 14 NoVember 2014 (till the date of expiry of my passport). I am returning back to Canada on 2nd June 2014 and will have a validity of almost 5.5 months on my passport. Am i eligible to travel back to Canada and get my passport renewed there?

Best Regards
You have many options:
1. Since your passport validity must be 6 months upon entry, you may renew your passport while in India. If your country doesn't discard old passport then you will be able to travel with both the old with visa and the new passports. Or you may apply for replacement visa (transfering visa from an old or damaged passport to a new passport) - here you'll get the same visa expring in November, 2014. Or you may apply for new visa depending on whether your studies extend over November 2014 and you plan going back home again. Here I advice that you apply for replacement visa (stamped in your new passport).

2. You can renew your passport in Canada before travelling. Apply for replacement visa in Canada or travel with both passports or apply for new visa and renewal of study permit if your current study exceeds far beyong November 2014.

3. Just go back to India. Inquire from the CIC before your journey or while in the Canadian airport inquire from the immigration officers about the validity of your passport and if you can still re-enter with your passport expiring in November, 2014 and renew it in Canada when you're back in June, 2014. Remember, it's always advisable to apply for visa or renew study permit in Canada.

If I were you I would choose the third option.