+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

India Paper based license not accepted by Ontario

smpbcpr

Feb 7, 2020
Hi Members,

I recently moved to Ontario from India. I was told that India driving experience would be considered in Ontario and the wait times to get to a G2 or G will be reduced and we can take these tests immediately. I had a license issued by Pune RTO in 2005 which then, was paper based. I had to change my address and some particulars so got it changed in Kolkata before I traveled . The Kolkata RTO has stopped issuing chip based license since 2020 and issued me a DL which was paper based and it was laminated. I also got the DL extract from the Kolkata RTO. Once I got here, I went to drivetest in Mississauga, they asked me to get a valid license from India and stated that the laminated DL I have is invalid. Now I am unable to do anything as the Kolkata RTO is not
Issuing any smart card based license.

Has anyone experienced such scenario before. Your guidance on this is highly appreciated.

jayessess

Star Member
May 16, 2017
Hi Members,

I recently moved to Ontario from India. I was told that India driving experience would be considered in Ontario and the wait times to get to a G2 or G will be reduced and we can take these tests immediately. I had a license issued by Pune RTO in 2005 which then, was paper based. I had to change my address and some particulars so got it changed in Kolkata before I traveled . The Kolkata RTO has stopped issuing chip based license since 2020 and issued me a DL which was paper based and it was laminated. I also got the DL extract from the Kolkata RTO. Once I got here, I went to drivetest in Mississauga, they asked me to get a valid license from India and stated that the laminated DL I have is invalid. Now I am unable to do anything as the Kolkata RTO is not
Issuing any smart card based license.

Has anyone experienced such scenario before. Your guidance on this is highly appreciated.
I had the same issues, license issued in 2010 from India, laminated paper. I had my driving abstract and it didn’t help. I visited Georgetown and Mississauga Drivetest centres, returned without any luck. So I ended up doing G2 and G tests. I was able to do G2 immediately because I got my learners a year earlier when I visited canada. It was all during this pandemic.